Brewing Jun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synaster

Reaction score
Anyone try this yet? Any idea how it differs from kombucha? Looks like its brewed with honey instead of white sugar..

A friend gave me a mother from her Jun culture this evening, and the instructions she gave me were to use 6 cups of high-quality organic green tea, such as Gunpowder, and 1-2 cups of honey (her culture likes 2 cups). When the tea is room temperature, pour into a large glass jar (hers is a 1 gallon jar), and put the mother in it, along with a little of the brew from a prior batch. Cover top with a mesh or cheesecloth to keep our flying critters attracted to the honey. She said it takes less time to brew than kombucha -- 3-4 days. I tasted some of hers tonight and it was ambrosia -- like a fine, dry white wine with a hint of honey flavor and a delicate sweetness. I brewed kombucha for a few years and this was much better than any kombucha I'd ever had. She did tell me that the Jun is more delicate and fussy than kombucha. It likes cooler temperatures, since its from Tibet. So, I'm making the tea tonight and i can't wait to see how she grows! More tips my friend shared: The brew can be mixed with apple or pear juice when you put it in bottles to refrigerate, and/or you can add spices such as cardamom (her favorite), cinnamon, and nutmeg. Only add these to the brew after it has been poured off from the mother. Also, don't refrigerate the mother because she'll die. OK, that's the extent of my knowledge for now!

If you were making this from scratch, could you use a yeast instead of a used mother. I'm new to all this and would like to make a batch for me father since his favorite "kombucha" is this jun.
any recipes, fermenting techniques, or tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance mate!

If you were making this from scratch, could you use a yeast instead of a used mother. I'm new to all this and would like to make a batch for me father since his favorite "kombucha" is this jun.
any recipes, fermenting techniques, or tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance mate!

HomeBrewerB....from all I have read about Jun, it differs from kombucha in that a true Jun culture is all bacterial, whereas KT as we know it is bacteria + yeast.

The founder of a super successful commercial brewer of Jun gave a rare interview here, http://www.eugeneweekly.com/article/preserving-sacred-cultures. If anyone ever chances upon a sample of his Jun-based beverages they are just amazing. He has put a lot of work into his process, to maintain the integrity of his culture and the final product. The fact he has consulted with Cornell University speaks volumes to me.

I have a Jun mother en route for less than $6. My source said anyone is welcome to contact her for a Jun culture, (sara@thepathoftruth dot com).

I plan on doing an anaerobic ferment, low and slow, and look forward to being able to use all green tea and raw honey without damaging the culture. There is not a lot of published info on Jun, appears to be a closely guarded secret. Anyone know a Tibetan monk?

I can always count on people here to have broached a topic I'm looking for but I'm starting to be rather amused that it's Sara who always shares what I really wanted to know.

That said, when I tried to do my last batch, apparently the tea I had had some kind of spice added which killed the bacteria in the scoby I had. How did yours turn out Sara? Or even Phil if he sees this.

My Jun is going gangbusters. Definitely not kombucha. Culture ferments a full 10F lower than kombucha, anaerobic (lactobacillus is dominant, in kombucha it is aerobic acetobacter), no yeast threads like kombucha, ferments 4-7-10 days compared to 14-21+ days with kombucha.

My source is from Kombucha Nation Facebook group.
If you get Jun PLEASE make sure someone has not just plopped a kombucha scoby in green tea and honey and calling it Jun, so not the case but it is happening.

Try Kombucha Nation on Facebook, you can get a free culture from lots of people if you pay for the shipping. USPS flat-rate is $6 something

Thanks kyt! Just joined! A world of info on there and I put in a request :D:mug:

(snipped)

My source is from Kombucha Nation Facebook group.
If you get Jun PLEASE make sure someone has not just plopped a kombucha scoby in green tea and honey and calling it Jun, so not the case but it is happening.

I just joined and requested a culture. Crossing fingers!! :D
I had seen on ebay too but that was my concern- how do I know it isn't just a kombucha in Jun clothing since I would never have seen one? I think I have better chance of the straight scoop on FB then on ebay but who knows.

I just joined and requested a culture. Crossing fingers!! :D
I had seen on ebay too but that was my concern- how do I know it isn't just a kombucha in Jun clothing since I would never have seen one? I think I have better chance of the straight scoop on FB then on ebay but who knows.

Physically the two scoby look alike. If you make kombucha you will notice the difference with Jun. If you have not made kombucha using green tea and honey you need to do so, for proper comparison. Pay attention to what is happening in the fermenter. Fabulous carbonation with Jun, even in aerobic environment, that does not occur with kombucha.
With Jun, it is a fast ferment, talking harvesting on Day 4 when fermenting in low/mid 70s...kombucha would take 2.5-3 weeks. Go to files section on K Nation, read the articles on Jun.
Ask your Jun source if their culture is a kombucha scoby turned Jun, avoid.
The sharing members on that group see the Jun discussions. Other sources for real Jun cultures-- James McLaughlin or Rocky Sasser or Chris Cook--mbrs of Kombucha Nation. I have Jun but my request list is quite backlogged.
--I do recommend, if you want to propogate Jun cultures, have a separate grow vessel. The ferment is so fast you may or may not develop a new 1/8-1/4" pellicle in time.
Kombucha Kamp sells Jun culture, $35 retail. You can read their product detail. I am quite sure there are Jun variants just as there are Kombucha and kefir variants.

Physically the two scoby look alike. If you make kombucha you will notice the difference with Jun. If you have not made kombucha using green tea and honey you need to do so, for proper comparison. Pay attention to what is happening in the fermenter. Fabulous carbonation with Jun, even in aerobic environment, that does not occur with kombucha.
With Jun, it is a fast ferment, talking harvesting on Day 4 when fermenting in low/mid 70s...kombucha would take 2.5-3 weeks.
Excellent- I find I am so impatient to get to the kombucha! It takes too long!! :)

Ask your Jun source if their culture is a kombucha scoby turned Jun, avoid.

Good to know- she seems nice enough- but it wouldn't hurt to ask! She is charging me $10 to cover mailing and packaging- didn't think that was too onerous- especially considering that first link I put on here!

The sharing members on that group see the Jun discussions. Other sources for real Jun cultures-- James McLaughlin or Rocky Sasser or Chris Cook--mbrs of Kombucha Nation. I have Jun but my request list is quite backlogged.
I put a general Jun wanted post too- so maybe one of them will comment- I found her on the file there and PM'ed her.

--I do recommend, if you want to propogate Jun cultures, have a separate grow vessel. The ferment is so fast you may or may not develop a new 1/8-1/4" pellicle in time.

Good to know! So I will prep ahead :) I only just set up the SCOBY hotel- so space is at a premium. Best go buy another big jar or two!

Kombucha Kamp sells Jun culture, $35 retail. You can read their product detail. I am quite sure there are Jun variants just as there are Kombucha and kefir variants.

Thanks for al the info- I will look up Kombucha Kamp also.

Hello all, I'm a newcomer here. I have been brewing jun for over a year now. Has anyone ever had problems with their culture sinking? This has happened to me several times now. The kind friend who gave me the original culture told me that a sinking culture doesn't necessarily mean it's dead - as long as it still ferments the tea, doesn't mold up, and produces a new culture on top of the liquid it is still good. I'm just wondering why I didn't have any problems for nearly a year and all of a sudden my cultures are sinking. She even gave me a new one recently and it sunk the first time I put it in a new jar of tea. I have tried different types of tea and it still keeps happening. The honey is also the same - I have a 3 gallon jug of local raw honey, so no changes there. I'm too embarrassed to ask her any more questions as she's in the middle of moving right now! (And I feel bad.) Any ideas, anyone?

The cellulose pellicle is more dense than water, if there isn't something added that is lighter than both, it will sink. Carbon dioxide bubbles will float the culture. If the bubbles are escaping, the culture can sink. Sometimes the bubbles can become trapped in the culture and it will always float until the gas is released.
Also, the pellicle is unnecessary for proper fermentation. If it bothers you, just take it out.

posted via Home Brew mobile app

Back