Brewing with STARBURST candy??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
As I was sitting at my computer eating some starburst and browsing the forum I had the ridiculous idea of brewing a beer with starburst candy. I did a quick google search and not much came of it. Has anyone tried this before? Not saying that I want to do it but it could be an interesting experiment.

Maybe a basic cream ale or a kolsch with some starbust added into secondary. Is this even possible? I assume they would ferment given the simple sugars in them. Second how would you go about adding them, maybe melting them in some how water and pouring it into secondary? I clearly have too much time on my hands but I cant stop wondering what it might turn out like.:ban:

Yeah, I'm with Gary here.

A+ for creative thinking, but I think the artificial flavorings really wouldn't be very good in a beer. Your idea to melt them down in a boil would *probably* work well and the sugars would certainly ferment, but I really can't see any purpose.

If you actually wanted to do a "starburst" ale, I would add some high fructose corn syrup (or most any simple sugar would probably work) and whatever natural flavoring you were looking for.

Hey mate, kudos to the thought process don't worry your not the only one who has tried this some have failed and some have had huge success.

Beers that I have tried using candy in their recipe.

Jaffa Stout - using jaffas obviously.
Candy snake IPA - using those colorful snakes
Green jet plane IPA - using those jet plane candies
Milk bottle milk stout - obviously using candy milk bottles.

All that I tried where incredibly tasty and turned out fantastic. I think the hardest part would be balancing the grain and hop flavor around the candy. I say go for it! Be a pioneer in the brewing world no dream or idea is too ridiculous. If you would like I can ask a few of my brewing buddies who made these beers and find out what grain and hops they used.

I agree with you guys... not sure if I will put the time, money or effort into actually brewing it it was just a weird idea I had. Just wanted to solicit some others opinions on the matter. In a day when almost every ingredient on earth has been used to brew, it would be fun to come up with something new.

jro238 said:
sounds like it's a job for littlebrobrews :rockin:

Try starting with a more "known" ingredient one that people have been using in cooking or preparing food for some time that have "known" results. Like try a szechuan pepper blond or something like that you might find better results, but I'm sure with some tweaking and some entertaining results you will get at least one desired outcome and who knows you might just be onto a world first and if you break ground well enough everyone might start..

If you really wanted to have a go with candy then one of my brewing buddies used the follow recipe for their brew, a lager which turned out great. Don't ask why he used green jet planes even he doesn't know..

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Grain & Candy
5.10 kg Pilsner, Malt (100.0 %)
500 gm Green Jet Planes

Hops & Candy
10.00 gm Green Bullet [13.50%] (45 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
10.00 gm Green Bullet [13.50%] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
250 gm Green Jet Planes (5 min)
10.00 gm Green Bullet [13.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Hops -

Yeast
1 Pkgs Danish Lager (Wyeast Labs #2042) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.10 kg

Just soak a few packs of candy in vodka for a month...strain and you have a homemade candy extract. I was really into flavored vodka for a while. Really easy to make amazing mixed drinks from. I would think this would be the best way to achieve this in brewing.

Stir it every few days when soaking and make sure the piece are seperated. Some candy complete dissolves, some clups together. Some absorbs and expands.

To whomever brews the Starburst brew may doors open for you, dollar bills fall from the sky and women line up for miles to taste its goodness:mug:

I may consider it in the future but at the moment I have a maris otter SMaSH and my house pale ale that need brewing.

I've never tried, but read about someone bottle carbing with jolly ranchers. I'm sure starburst would probably work similarly. Maybe with a bit more "gooey-ness"

Why not try a 1 gallon batch with some washed yeast. Probably cost you $8 tops and a couple hours. I'd secondary on them after soaking them in vodka for a bit. I'd expect decent results, but maybe a bit artificial! Good luck

Which Starburst flavor are you proposing?

Yeah, I think it would depend on the flavors included. The lemon and orange are actually quite good. Mixed with hops it might end up really interesting.

I could even see the strawberry working...maybe like a strawberry Starburst blonde.

The cherry I'd probably leave out. It's rather intense and "fake cherry" tasting, although I do like cherry Starburst.

I agree... maybe a mix of lemon and orange starburst "dry hopped" into a blonde ale with soriachi ace and citra. Light on the hops to let the starburst shine haha

If you want starburst alcochol you can probably do the same thing with Starbursts that you do with Skittles to make Skittles Vodka.

In theory you could then use this to "spice up" some homebrew...although i would only do it on a per cup basis(dont just pour a ton of this flavored vodka in a keg) as its likely to be bad lol.

Here's the how to
http://mixthatdrink.com/skittles-vodka-tutorial/

I think the filtering is the key step to making it not so disgusting.

If I were to do it I would probably just melt it down in some water and then throw it into the carboy after a few days of fermentation. To get any substantial flavor impact I think you would need to add a pretty good amount of them, too much for a vodka dilution.

Yeah, I think it would depend on the flavors included. The lemon and orange are actually quite good. Mixed with hops it might end up really interesting.

I could even see the strawberry working...maybe like a strawberry Starburst blonde.

The cherry I'd probably leave out. It's rather intense and "fake cherry" tasting, although I do like cherry Starburst.

Agreed with the guy who said it would take a ton (or at least a couple pounds) of Starburst to get truly noticeable flavor. I wouldn't use Starburst anyway, a lot of fats, weird emulsifiers, and acid in there.

Also agreed that orange or lemon would be best, especially with some citrusy hoppage.

If I was you, I'd find me a candy supply store and pick up about an ounce of orange oil (or lemon oil) and 2 or 3 grams of emulsifier like gum acacia (aka gum arabic). I'd add the acacia at the same time as Whirlfloc, and the flavor oil at flameout.

Back