Any recipes for sangria?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strantor

Reaction score
When I say sangria, I mean "from the bottle" sangria. Not wine in a punch bowl with a bunch of fruit tossed at it. When I google "sangria recipes" all I get are instructables on how to add fruit to a punch bowl.

I hope I don't make any savants go cross-eyed my mentioning such a déclassé name, but I happen to love Carlo Rossi Sangria, and that, or something better, is what I want to make. Before anybody says it, yes, I know that Carlo Rossi is cheaper than bottled water already, and I probably won't save any money by making it at home. But I want to at least explore the option and see how much it does cost to make. Also I like doing things myself.

Thank you for not judging ;)

Orchard Breezin and Island Mist offer sangria kits.
Have you used one of these kits? Any idea how it works? Do they just have you make a batch of wine and then add some fruit juice at the end, with yeast killer?

The Orchard Breezin Seville Orange Sangria is by far my favorite:

http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/seville-orange-sangria-orchard-breezin.html

If you want a more custom batch, I make the World Vineyard Italian Pinot Grigio wine kit, transfer into secondary, and add a bunch of strawberries, kiwi, and raspberries (red). Aside from the really cool dark pink color, the taste is awesome and stores well for the entire summer.

Have you used one of these kits? Any idea how it works? Do they just have you make a batch of wine and then add some fruit juice at the end, with yeast killer?

It provides you with the base wine which you start in the primary and has you add a flavor pack at a certain SG range. All necessary additives like SO2, sorbate, fining agents are provided. Very simple, quite tasty and quick(compared to a scratch batch). I have not made this particular one, but have made others which have always been received well. I do my own version of sangria by picking from my own wines, blending and adding fruit and some vodka/pure grain when serving.

I've used a batch of Joe's Quick Grape to make a very tastey Sangria. Goes over very well at every function I've brought it to. Let me know if you're interested in the recipe and I'll post it.

4 liter jug of Carlo Rossi Chianti
12 oz can frozen lemonade concentrate
12 oz can frozen limeade concentrate
12 oz can frozen cranberry juice concentrate
1 liter chilled ginger ale

Stir first four together until blended, float in the ginger ale, give it a gentle swirl to mix, chill and enjoy.

Add traditional sliced fruits if you want.

The Orchard Breezin Seville Orange Sangria is by far my favorite:

http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/seville-orange-sangria-orchard-breezin.html

If you want a more custom batch, I make the World Vineyard Italian Pinot Grigio wine kit, transfer into secondary, and add a bunch of strawberries, kiwi, and raspberries (red). Aside from the really cool dark pink color, the taste is awesome and stores well for the entire summer.

+1 on the Orange Sangria kit. My wife made it twice and turned out great both times. We have had it by itself but also once ice with fruit and its great either way.

Here's a quick look at the recipe I've used and gotten many compliments from.

1 Gallon of Joe's Quick Grape Mead (made according to the original recipe)
1 Container of Sunny Delight (Orange Juice)
1 Cup Sugar (White)
1/2 Cup Brandy (Any Kind)
1/2 Cup Congac (Any Kind)
1/2 Cup Tripple Sec (Any Kind)
1 Lime (Sliced)
1 Lemmon (Sliced)
1 Orange (Sliced)
1 Apple (Sliced)
1 Peach (Sliced)
1 Pear (Sliced)
1 Container of Marachino Cherries (Juice and all)

Add all liquid and stir. Add the fruit.
Chill it and Serve.

Never fails me in the time of need.

Anybody have bathroom and gas issues after drinking sangria? I won't get graphic but everybody I know has the same thing happen.

Anybody have bathroom and gas issues after drinking sangria? I won't get graphic but everybody I know has the same thing happen.

Never had that issue but I would take a look at your recipe, sanitation, serving method, etc. If everyone gets ill from the same batch there is a bug causing it.

saramc said:
Never had that issue but I would take a look at your recipe, sanitation, serving method, etc. If everyone gets ill from the same batch there is a bug causing it.

Not the same batch or anything and not sick just a certain color and smell lol sorry for being gross

Drinking Carlo Rossi sangria makes my movements a little more fluid but nothing really worth writing home about. Unless I eat half a jar of jalapeno stuffed olives with it....

strantor said:
Drinking Carlo Rossi sangria makes my movements a little more fluid but nothing really worth writing home about. Unless I eat half a jar of jalapeno stuffed olives with it....

Never had a problem with the store bought kind just the real stuff with fruit in it

This thread took a turn somewhere and is waaaay off topic.

How about Sangria Recipes?

Back