Changing temperature half-way through?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheftonUTD

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and looking for advice about temperature control. After bottling my first batch I went out and got a fridge and a second fermentor (the obsesion begins... ).
What I'm doing at the moment is planning to have one brew in the fridge (at about 20c / 68f) and the other in a makeshift swamp cooler (at about 28c / 82f :( ).
I started thinking today though, since everyone says that temperature is most critical during the first week(ish) of fermentation, would I be better off next time starting one earlier, leaving it in the fridge for a week or so then take it out and put the new one in it's place?

Any thoughts or ideas?

I would say it depends on the yeast and what profile you want in the beer. The 82F seems awful warm though but I tend to ferment at the lower ends of the yeasts temp range

I sometimes end up second guessing myself... going from about 70 down to 60 or even 65. I move my carboys and buckets around the house depending on how and when they're fermenting.

But yeah, 82 sounds really high unless you're dealing with a belgian strong and want all those fruity flavors...

If what you were asking is would removing the batch from the refrigerator after a week make a big difference I think the answer is no. At least in most cases. The vast majority of esters which produce the flavors from the yeast will be produced during the first few days of active fermentation. So, barring a bigger refrigerator, brewing a batch this week and fermenting at 68f, then brewing another batch next week, putting it in the refrigerator at 68f and moving the older one out to warmer place would not be too bad for most beers. Any very high gravity beers might need a little more time, and all of this assumes you are pitching the proper amount of good, clean, healthy yeast.

hth,
Michael

As you stated, the most active part of fermentation is the only time when temp control is really critcal. Basically, the first 75% between OG and FG is the only place where yeast can get stressed enough to produce a noticible concentration of esters and phenols.

With a few style exceptions and exceptions for high ABV, that critical part of fermentation where temp control is necessary is over within 4-5 days.

I personally have a single temp controlled chamber, and routinely only leave beers in there for a week before I put them on a shelf at room temp to bulk condition, and I have no noticible effects or off flavors from this process.

Back