TXBeekeeper turning mead maker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXbeekeeper

Reaction score
Happy 2013!

With so much honey from the hives, I've decided to try my hand at making mead/honey wine. Stop number 1 - here. Must get educated in the process before attempting. You'll find me in the mead forum!

I am north east texas......about 1 hr from Dallas in Kaufman, TX. I have about 40 hives which makes alot of honey. Are you a mead maker?

I too am a beekeeper. No real interest in mead, as I have yet to taste one I liked. I do use honey to condition the bottles with good results so far.

Stove Pipe: My partner is currently teaching in Desoto, TX if you are interested in klearning more.....checkout the class at www.beegirl.biz. She'd love to have you join. She's only done one class so far but would catch you up quickly after class this week-end.

I am new to beekeeping and it's a great hobby. I'd suggest you look into and maybe the mead making would come as gifts for the neightbors for you have bees LOL.

Let me know if you'd any bee info :)

dabeez: Where abouts are you? How long keeping bees? Sorry you haven't found a good mead. I hope it is not going to be that difficult for me to find something decent. I think making honey wine would be alot of fun.....Check in after I get mny batch done and I'll let you know if I found a good recipe :)

Tx, I am sure there are great mead recipes out there. I will follow along as you go.

Generally the mead I have tried tastes like, well , honey. I encourage mead making, but for myself with so much honey in my diet from other sources, mead just hasn't captured my attention. Too much of a good thing I suppose.

I do use honey for priming beer bottles. I am working my way through a porter right now that is very smooth with a great foamy head. The honey taste is very subtle, just barely detectable.

Btw I am in Delaware.

dabeez: How long have you been keeping bees? How big is your opertation? Do you send away for pollenation service? Do you sell you your honey?......Last year was my first sellinG at Farmers Markets. I partnered wth a gal that has 7 yrs under her belt beekeeping so I'm learning alot. We winter in TX and summer in ND. I have been sellign to mead makers so was curious to try myself. There is a commercial honeyu wine maker in Dallas that is doing fabulous sales. There must be something delicious there....I want to find the secret :)

Back