Elderberry Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hrahn1995

Reaction score
So all i do is extract brewing because im more of a mead brewer if you look at any of my threads. So i had the idea to do another barleywine but this time to use some elderberries to add a nice punch for something different.

1 gallon

12 oz Dark Dry Malt
12oz Amber Dry Malt
8 oz Dextrose
1/4 cup Dried elderberries
Some elderflowers steeped in hot water
1/3 oz Cascade Hops (Dry hopped in secondary)
1/6 oz Warrior Hops (Dry hopped in primary)

Anyone with experience in Fruit beer. im definitely looking for some input. i will be starting this soon (probably sunday the 13th)

There's a good BYO article I have used here regarding fruit beers with some really useful info. I've not worked with elderberries in a brew before, but I imagine the process is just the same as with other fruit.

You may want to reduce the corn sugar (to 4oz?) and increase your extracts (1lb each, maybe?) to get some additional body in the beer. Also, I'm not sure if I missed it, but you may also want to add some bittering hops in your boil unless you want it cloyingly sweet.

Thanks. I am probably only going to add about 4oz of Corn sugar if any, but because i cant boil just due to location i will be using the Warrior hops to provide some bittering hopefully.

You could probably make a hop tea by boiling them in a cup or two of water in the microwave if you have one available. Never tried it but it should work in theory.

You need to boil to get bittering. It is not going to be an IPA without decent bittering.

I like the elderberries. Should be added after main fermentation.

I think the elderflowers will ruin it.

well its a bit late. I made it last night and what i have is
3/16th of a cup -1/4 of a cup dried elderberries
only a dash of the elderflowers,
about 1/4 oz of Warrior hops, no boil so they will probably just add aroma
4oz Dark Candi Sugar
12 oz DDME
12 oz ADME

I might do the tea idea along with some priming sugar when i rack it.

Aso this isnt meant to be an IPA, its meant to be a Fruit beer with the underlying style of Barley Wine, I just dont want it to be cloying. The elderflowers probably wont be enough to alter the flavor too much or at all.

the yeast is Red Star Champagne

Primary, 20-30 days
Secondary, 20-30 days
tertiary remainder of 60 days or until clear
Aged for probably 6-12 months. might faux oak it.

Latest posts

Back