Gain Malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewKid

Reaction score
I'm always trying to revise my RIS recipe and make it more of a Scottish style stout. Just what I've always loved. Belhaven Stout is by far my favorite.

So my question is, the recipe calls for 19lbs of British pale ale malt. Could I use instead of British pale ale malt, use British Golden Promise?

Anyone out there know enough about malt grains to answer this question?

BrewKid said:
I'm always trying to revise my RIS recipe and make it more of a Scottish style stout. Just what I've always loved. Belhaven Stout is by far my favorite.

So my question is, the recipe calls for 19lbs of British pale ale malt. Could I use instead of British pale ale malt, use British Golden Promise?

Anyone out there know enough about malt grains to answer this question?

Try using WY1728 Scottish ale yeast as well!

Are you doing anything to your water to get it closer to a Scottish water profile?

In How To Brew, Palmer has the Edinburgh water profile: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-2.html

Look at Table 15. Here's his description of the water:

Edinburgh - Think of misty Scottish evenings and you think of strong Scottish ale - dark ruby highlights, a sweet malty beer with a mellow hop finish. The water is similar to London's but with a bit more bicarbonate and sulfate, making a beer that can embrace a heavier malt body while using less hops to achieve balance.

Here's a good thread talking about water profiles and calculators:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-profiles-tools-131443/

I have that book and remember reading that section before.

But I'm still clueless as to how I would change my waters composition to match that of Edinburgh.

For the water you brew with, do you know what the water profile is? You can get this info from your city's Water Quality Report.

No I do not know what the water profile is because I don't use city water. I get all my water from a Crystal Gyser machine at the grocery store. Nice clean filtered non-chlorine water, .39 cents a gallon :)

If you use Brewer's Friend Water Chemistry Calculator and 8gallons (i don't know how much your recipe asks for) of RO water (zero source minerals), you can achieve Edinburgh water by adding the following:

11.0g chalk
3.8g baking soda
2.0g gypsum
2.5g calcium chloride
6.0g epsom salt
0.4g canning salt

water.jpg

I actually use a total of 11 gallons of water for a 5 gallon batch. 7 gallons to mash and 4 to sparge.

But I will definitely use that calculator in the future. Thanks so much for your help!

Back