Speidel Plastic Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are going to take pre-orders, though. Also, as I read the email it sounds like they are giving a heads-up that they will be releasing the tanks soon. You may not have missed your chance.

Well the email said they were taking pre-orders through their website, but I couldn't find anywhere to do that either, so I assumed the preorders were sold out immediately as well.

I dont think the email was easy to understand, but here's what I guessed: They have each size listed separately. Click on whatever size(s) you are interested in and request to be notified when that size is "in stock". You will get en email when they start taking pre-orders for the size you clicked on.

At least that is how I understand it.

I dont think the email was easy to understand, but here's what I guessed: They have each size listed separately. Click on whatever size(s) you are interested in and request to be notified when that size is "in stock". You will get en email when they start taking pre-orders for the size you clicked on.

At least that is how I understand it.

Lol, that's what I did months ago to receive this email.

Just ordered a 30L tank! It didn't say anything about a delay. I assume it will be a while until it arrives though.

I just checked the site and it looks like all sizes are still available. So if you want the 20L, you should be able to order it.

I can´t believe that it´s so hard to get this fermenters, for once living in Europe it´s a good thing. There is other very similar fermenters from Mr Malt in Italy don´t know if you can get this in the States:
28 liters
ef1002.jpg
and 50 liters
ef1002_1.jpg

I just found the Italian website for these Mr Malt fermenters and sent them an email asking if they would ship to the US and the pricing. I let them know that there would be many people interested if they do. I will keep you guys posted!

Thanks for the info on these!

Question for those that own this type of fermentor.

Is it possible to use a fermawatt wrap on these tanks.

I just pre-ordered mine today when they opened at 9am. The guy I spoke to today said within 2 hours they had 80 on pre-order. Good news. is that the items ship free. He also said that these should arrive and ready to ship by Nov 15th

I got an email today saying they were in stock. My 30 L is arriving next week. I guess maybe they gave preference to people in order of their registering for a notification. Can't wait to use it.

I pre-ordered two 30L. Supposed to arrive in November. Honestly, the thing that I look forward to is the handles. In Phoenix, I have to use my kegerator for fermenting pretty regularly, so the handles will make it easier to get in and out of the kegerator.

Would the 7.9 gal one be to big (to much head space) for doing 5.5 gal
batches , thinking of topping it off with C02 ?

Is not too big, if you are concernd for oxidation in a longer period, after primary has finish you can always remove airlock and put the little "screw plug" and move it to some place a little warmer that will move residual co2 from the beer and fill the headspace with co2. At least that´s what I do and had 0 problems so far

No, CO2 is heavier than air so most of the air gets forced out the airlock during Primary.
The 8G size is awesome - You can put a huge beer in there and just walk away and not worry about blowoff.

I bet that with 5.5 or 6 gal if you put a big enough beer in there you would need blow off. I got blowoff in my 10 gal fermentor with 7 gal in there on my imperial stout last year. I would rather account for blow off and set up for it than not account for blow off, and have needed to to set up. Cleaning a mess is much more of pain in the butt than throwing a hose on top of my fermentor.

I bet that with 5.5 or 6 gal if you put a big enough beer in there you would need blow off. I got blowoff in my 10 gal fermentor with 7 gal in there on my imperial stout last year. I would rather account for blow off and set up for it than not account for blow off, and have needed to to set up. Cleaning a mess is much more of pain in the butt than throwing a hose on top of my fermentor.

I dont know about 6G, but I did 5.25G of RIS last winter and the krautzen never got past 7.5G

Homebrewfinds said on Monday these were all back in stock (all sizes) but Morebeer's site says the 60L is pre-order now...did they sell out since yesterday, or what?

Just ordered one of these:

14 gallon HDPE drums

For $25 shipped, I'll give it a shot. 27"x15", previously held double-bagged salt. Wide enough that I can get a spigot in them if I want.

I got my 30L Speidel fermenter the other day. Looks great, I hope I can fill it in the next week. After washing it, I noticed they dry a lot faster than Better Bottles, which seem to take days to dry.

Am I the only one who noticed that the 31 gallon versions of these tanks...........are really, really, really cheap?

for what they do? I mean, even if you where to jury rig a fermentor of that size from two kegs it would most likely, still cost more......and undoubtedly be harder to clean and maintain.

Wouldn't they make it a LOT easier for a restaurant to convert into a minor brewbub?

I have mine going now. Don't be a ******* like me. The flange on the top came inverted. I saw no bubbling during the first 24 hours, then realized I had the flange upside-down (the threaded neck should point up). Otherwise, it's great.

Just ordered one of these:

14 gallon HDPE drums

For $25 shipped, I'll give it a shot. 27"x15", previously held double-bagged salt. Wide enough that I can get a spigot in them if I want.

I like that barrel better than the LME barrel since the inside is more accessible for cleaning, might have to get one of these.

finally have my 30l and cleaned it today... I like it alot, I noticed the keg shape , has anyone built a stand for theirs so you can use the valve as a yeast dump like a conical? Or will the little valve be too small to get a good pull of the trub? maybe get an extra cap and put a nice ball valve in it..

I just wanted to repeat myself about headspace on big beers. I am using one of my 60L speidels right now and I only have 8 gallons in the fermentor at the moment. I went up stairs thinking I'd add my next 8 gallons I have sitting in a sealed corny keg. Well the 8 gal has krausened out of the 15.9 gal fermentor so if you have a big enough beer you'll need blow off, and I thought with another volume's worth of beer in the head space I'd be fine till I topped it up. It's a 1.117 RIS so it's not typical I would say.

I'm on the backorder list with a 60L and 30L. When I ordered, it didn't say they were a backorder. Found out when my other items arrived and they didn't arrive in a really big box. Checked my order and it wasn't listed. After emailing CS, I was told I'm in the November shipment. Excited to get these and move up to 10 gallons.

Excited.

Morebeer got back to me and said the stopper size for the 30L is a #7.5 stopper, so should be able to drill it out to accommodate a thermowell. That said, I'm still concerned about the headspace with a 15" thermowell and 5.25 gallons filled in the 30L that it will be too short.

In case this has not been addressed already, the stopper size for the 20L and 30L Speidel's is #8.5. I tested 7.5, 8.0 and 8.5 to determine the best fit.

All I will add is the only time I've ever had infections in my beer has been when I've used fermenters with spigots.

It just seems to be next to impossible to properly sanitize the spigot prior to secondary/bottling bucket transfer.

I would spray PBW in there, StarSan, you name it. When it's hooked up to the fermenter, you just can't get the thing properly sanitized if you want to use the spigot instead of an auto-siphon.

Perhaps this was because I was using the spigot during fermentation to pull samples for gravity readings, leaving some attractive sweetness in there for wild yeast/bacteria (even though I'd spray it with StarSan after taking a sample) but either way - be extra careful if you use the spigot to transfer your beer to a secondary/priming tank rather than an auto-siphon.

All I will add is the only time I've ever had infections in my beer has been when I've used fermenters with spigots.

It just seems to be next to impossible to properly sanitize the spigot prior to secondary/bottling bucket transfer.

I would spray PBW in there, StarSan, you name it. When it's hooked up to the fermenter, you just can't get the thing properly sanitized if you want to use the spigot instead of an auto-siphon.

Perhaps this was because I was using the spigot during fermentation to pull samples for gravity readings, leaving some attractive sweetness in there for wild yeast/bacteria (even though I'd spray it with StarSan after taking a sample) but either way - be extra careful if you use the spigot to transfer your beer to a secondary/priming tank rather than an auto-siphon.

I´ve used fermenter with spigot in 90% of my beers and didn´t had a problem

I've been using 2x 30L Speidels for the past year, both with spigot and I haven't had any problems either.

No problems with the spigot for me and it has made transferring to kegs so much easier. I would never use it for samples ahead of transferring the beer. I also attach a hose to the end and gravity feed warm sanitizer backwards (with the spigot closed) through it just before starting my transfer into the keg. I also transfer the first cup or two into a jar and discard it.

The Speidel fermenters have removable spigots, making them much easier to clean and sanitize than the traditional bucket spigots. I just got a 30L Speidle fermenter in September. I've used it for 3 or 4 batches already and absolutely love it. I just brewed a big IIPA last week that measured in at 1.080. I am SO thankful to have the head space on this thing, otherwise I would have a huge mess on my hands.

I've been using 2x 30L Speidels for the past year, both with spigot and I haven't had any problems either.

Same here.

Before I fill the fermenter, I rotate the spigot up, leaving it closed, and spray starsan into it. I leave it filled that way while the beer ferments and rinse it out with more SS when its time to transfer. Seems to work good.

Back