O2 bottle score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I just found out that my company is scrapping dozens (if not hundreds) of small O2 bottles that are near or out of hydro date. They aren't too big, maybe about the size of a 32 oz Nalgene bottle. They are equipped with a dual flow regulator. One output is 2 Liters per minute, the other one is 4 Liters per minute. They filled one with Aviator's grade oxygen and handed it to me with the "official" scrap tag, showing that it was "unserviceable". I imagine one this big and at about 1800 psi should last quite a while. I should get a few more just in case.

I don't see a tare weight stamp so I can't really determine the capacity. I just know it is much heavier than those Bernz-o-matic cylinders we can get from HD or Lowe's. Even taking into account the weight of the regulator/valve assembly.

Score!

If they are past their hydrostatic testing certification date and being tagged "unserviceable", why would you want to use them?

I shake my head sometimes on this forum when people completely disregard common sense safety. Pure oxygen at 1800 psi is nothing to fool around with. If not handled properly the results can be catostrophic.

Some cylinders can only be hydroed so many times and they are done, it does not mean that they are bad though. In the fire dept industry we have to retire certain tanks after so many hydro tests, such as the bottles we wear on our backs.

If they are full, I would use them. I WOULD NOT REFILL THEM! There is a big difference in holding a constant pressure and holding a pressure that is increasing.

As a side note, the scrap price of aluminum is high right now......

Are they tossing out the regulators too? If they can be safely removed, I'd try to get my hands on them. Assuming it's a standard thread size I bet a lot of homebrewers would be willing to buy them.

I'm missing something, are they in hydro or failed hydro? What your are saying is the boss is finished with these and you get them now? Anyway, good find.
Mike

They are 'unserviceable' because it is not feasible to put them into service with only 2 or 3 years left on the hydro test. The inspection/inventory that checks the dates is done only about every 18 months. If any are found to be close to 2 years from expiration, the entire aircraft's set is replaced. Typically with 15 year bottles. Makes logistics and planning much easier.

Phyrst said:
If they are past their hydrostatic testing certification date and being tagged "unserviceable", why would you want to use them?

The tag is to show that they have been removed from our system and are facing disposition (disposal). The placement of the tag on an otherwise serviceable component does not render that component useless to all.

Any interest in parting with a regulator? If I could use it on a small o2 tank up here I'd rig a nice aeration setup for my wort.... Let me know :)

A little blurry

ForumRunner_20120625_082813.jpg

Back