Munich Helles Okanagan Springs 1516 inspired lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwitz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast California lager
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Pitched harvested yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 15-18C
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7+ days at 4C
Tasting Notes
Turned out very well and close to the original.
17 lb Gambrinus Pale Malt
3 lb Gambrinus Munich Malt - 10L
8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
6 oz Gambrinus Dark Munich Malt 30L
6 oz Crystal 60

1oz N.brewer 60 mins
1oz Perle 10 mins

Single infusion mash 60 mins 65C

I almost called this a clone, but everyone whos tried this says its very much like the original but better, likely because i didnt filter the life out of mine. The California lager is just what i have on hand at the moment for a lager yeast, its actually turned out very well and ill probably continue to use it on my light beers.

Hey I noticed you live in kamloops. Where do you usually get your ingredients. Do you order your grain straight from Gambrinus. I live in Vancouver and usually buy from Dan homebrewing but was just curious where others in the area get there stuff. Also is this for an imperial 10G or US 10G.

Matt

Hey, yup i usually drive to armstrong and pick up a few sacks from them. I have also gotten most of my specialty grains from Dans, but lately iv been getting stuff from hopdawgs out of vernon. I havnt been totally happy with gambrinus lately though, so im gonna try out some canada malting or something like that.

Definitely a US gallon, and it occurs to me it might be better to say the recipe is for 11 gallons in the kettle and 10 gallons finished due to losses to trub and tubing. But i recommend you tune the recipe to your systems volumes and efficiency.

The N. Brewer is 9% AA and the perle is 7% AA.

Back