Carboy Geyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkarian

Reaction score
1)Airlock $1
2)Blowoff Tube $2
3)Realizing you left number one on and have a huge explosion in your bathroom. Priceless

Seriously though, I've been really busy studying for board exams and forgot to put my blowoff on an Imperial Stout. Yeah I should have put it on first but I didnt want to take time to clean and sanitize it and thought that the antifoam drops would keep it under control. Went to bed last night with a nice subdued 2 inch krausen and awoke about 3am this morning to a loud kaboom. Needless to say the 15 minutes of sanitizing a blowoff tube would have been less than 2 hours of cleaning molasses like beer off every surface imaginable. Not to mention now I will have to paint the ceiling, stupid popcorn ceiling. Oh well at least swmbo is gone visiting her mom.

So im thinking bout renaming this beer to Krakatoa Stout. What do you guys think?

Hey- you just made me spit coffee at my monitor! That's funny, right there.

Well, I'm like you- I have to learn things the hard way. I hear that Sherwin Williams has a paint color close to "Imperial Stout". Brown looks nice in bathrooms- I'm sure your wife will love it!

Hehe, sucks don't it? I had that happen with a really meaty IPA last week, blew the airlock into the sink (million in one shot) and got crud up to 5-6 feet high up the walls. Luckily mine didn't make it to the ceiling.. That was the first time I had used dry yeast, man that stuff is crazy!

Well Im hoping that some Kilz will take care of it. But man do I hate painting popcorn ceilings. Im moving in a year after I finish grad school anyway so maybe Ill just leave it till then. Too bad I didnt take any pics. I was half delerious and didnt think about it till I had it almost cleaned up.

Oh and another funny thing. The bathroom smelled like brownies baking. Ive smelled some pretty odd things from fermentations but this smelled really good. I can see it now, honey why does the bathroom smell like brownies and what is this on the ceiling?

Thats 2 spitters hehe. We should keep track of how many spit hot beverage because of me:D This is almost worth scrubbing down a bathroom.

Back