Holy crap anyone else just see Mayweather vs Ortiz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That was probably the most exciting fight AND post fight interview I've ever seen.

Crazy knockout followed by Larry Merchant and Mayweather getting into an altercation? Historic!

Just read the recap... can't wait for the news to follow. I wish I could have seen it. Damn PPV.. So if I heard right... during round 4 Ortiz went for a hug and stepped back and Mayweather dropped him? LOL.. rookie
EDIT... Caught the fight on youtube before it gets pulled... I count around 30 seconds from the time Ortiz head butts, his first apology, then walks around with the ref as he deducts a point, Ortiz then want's to still waste time apologizing... How much time does he want off? I applaud Mayweather for starting the fight back up.....

Yeah Ortiz was stupid but the ref should have been watching the fight instead of looking over at the side of the ring.

After the fight, Mayweather got pissed off talking to Larry Merchant and said HBO should fire him and that he doesn't know s**t about boxing. Then Larry said if he were 50 years younger he'd kick Mayweather's ass!

You can still catch the end of the fight on YouTube if you search right....most of the post's have been taken down by HBO. Ortiz is a punk and deserved the lesson. The after fight stuff...meh...showbiz.

Mistakes were made. Ortiz threw a blatant headbutt. The ref never sent Mayweather to a neutral corner and was not paying attention when it was most important. Mayweather, despite being upset about the headbutt, should never have thrown those cheap shots. He clearly looked over and saw that the ref was not watching just before he threw the punches. It was very unsportsmanlike.

I originally felt that Mayweather should have been DQd but after consideration, he was within the rules because of there not being a clean break called. At the end of the day, Mayweather did not earn any fans for his performance.

I didn't see the fight till after I heard the result and controversy (but I was lucky to see the whole fight) so I may have a different view. My take was that the Ortiz headbutt, apology, kiss, glove tap, parade around the ring, deserved a quick end.

Back