Garden hose sadness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
So. without thinking too far into it, i was brewing at a friends house. He did a extract brew on the stove, i drug over all of my equipment and did all grain in his garage. i used a brand spankin new garden hose for measuring out my brews.
Skip forward 2 weeks, i put in my "dry hops" today and tasted the brew... it has this potent plastic taste and smell to it.
Does not taste infected at all, i've used all the equipment many times over so it shouldn't be getting it from the buckets or my aussie no chill coolers. only variation was the garden hose.
i brewed with the same equipment as well the very next day and that one is tasting wonderful. so i have a feeling it is the garden hose.
Now as you guys have probably made that mistake once. Does the flavor mellow out? i know the rule of thumb is to wait it out, however i'm worried with the rubber/plastic flavor from what i can almost be certain of is the hose. i'm not sure that it will mellow out. any pointers? or should i just dump it now and try to make another of the same batch?

5781525423_81546693d1_z.jpg

The hose was likely your culprit and I don't believe it will mellow.

Look for a vinyl RV water supply hose. That's what I use to fill my system.

+1 on the RV hose, but some people have reported they use a plain garden hose without getting off flavors. I think it depends on the type of plastic or something, or maybe the age of the hose, or who knows what. I would give it some time just in case it's something else.

But yeah, this sounds bad... :/

Be happy you only made the mistake once.

It took me three batches before I figured out the stupid hose was ruining all my hard work.

I am really sorry, but dump it now. It will be less painful than sitting on it for 3 months hoping for it to mellow - it won't.

Again, I've been there, so I know how it feels.

Joe

Ran into the same problem, I switched to a 'potable water' hose at Lowes and my problems were solved. I tried letting a batch sit for a while, but it still tasted bad. If your sure it's from the hose I say dump it.

I think it's a loss. That type of off flavor isn't likely to mellow with time. Even if it does, by that time you will have lost all of you hop aroma and flavor anyway. You might try running bleach water through the hose and then rinsing it really well. I don't use garden hoses myself, but this is often recommended when purchasing a new piece of plastic equipment. Especially, if it has a noticeable plastic smell, like a cooler. I would figure it would work the same with a hose.

well i guess i will call this one a lost... i know to wait it out, but this one had me worried, and i guess my assumptions were correct! i'm not too bumed, it's all learning, but damn, it was like a $40 brew :( tried to do a double ipa with rye

Contrary to what the others have said, I believe I have isolated my plastic taste down to the garden hose, and it DOES mellow with time.

Some couldn't even notice it in a brown I brewed, although judges jumped all over it.

Give it a few weeks before dumping, there's a chance it might turn out drinkable.

i had already dumped it :(

used it for getting water for all of my brew instead of disconnecting it and getting it straight from the tap which is what i always do

Back