What was your first brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilishprune

Reaction score
After a quick search I couldn't find anything, so I thought that I would ask.

My first brew was a can and kilo Munton's Wheat beer kit that my SWMBO bought for me. She didn't know the monster she was creating :cross:. After I finished fermenting it, I concluded that it wasn't the worst beer I had ever had, but it wasn't the best either.

What was everyone's first brew here?

True brew porter kit. Yummy still drinkin it. Just started brewing this year and I'm hooked. Got another batch in bottles, another in the primary, and anther in the mail. Cheers!

First beer was a Scottish Ale kit from Midwest. It was ok. The Scottish I have on tap at home is much better.

Brewer's Best Dunkelweizen, and sadly I gave away most of it due to the taste. It was before I knew what green beer was.....

Brewer's Best American Wheat - it came with my start up kit. It was drinkable and I was hooked.

First brew was a honey porter kit from the LHBS... Tweaked it right off the bat to get more ABV in it (I thought 4.2% was weak for a solid porter :drunk:)... Came out really good, so I've been going ever since... That was mid-November of 2010... :D Of course, I started another brew within a few days of the first one... Then I had a brain fart and brewed two that are just not in bottles, or carbonating (started in December, but took a lot longer than I had originally planned)...

I do think brewing is a "gateway" item for fermenting... That is, once you've tasted what someone else has made, that's not beer... I made the 'mistake' of trying the person who works at the LHBS's mead... Not even a week later I was starting my initial batches (still in process)... I don't plan on making wine anytime soon. Mostly because I don't think I can make it to my own standards... I also don't drink enough to make it worth doing... Plus, it would probably be years before it was to the point where it would be ready to drink... If I don't forget about it completely... At least with beer, most of the time, it's ready to drink within 6-8 weeks from boil... Mead is usually at least 6-12 months.

First brew was an extract with specialty grains from my LHBS. It was a kit, Northern Alt-Sposure, and damn it's good! I was hoping I could bring a case for my annual ice fishing trip next weekend but might be a few short. :)

Honey Amber Ale Kit from Midwest. Good stuff. Just finished the last of it off last week! Now I have 10 more batches to work on drinking! :drunk:

Mine was some sort of kit IPA. Maybe Brewer's Best? All I can remember is it came in a pretty unremarkable cardboard box from my LHBS. It did not come out very well. Maybe I burned the extract or stressed the god-knows-how-log-it-had-been-at-room-temperature yeast that came with the kit.

That was four years and hundreds of gallons ago... good times. :mug:

Kit in a cardboard box from the local flea market (they had a small home-brew section where we bought the "equipment kit" as well). It was a "Pale Ale". I remember we thought it was awesome! Then we brewed another kit, and it tasted the same. Then another and it still tasted the same (they were several different types of beer). The passion fizzled for a couple of years before I tried it again with more information. That first one was a Vanilla Wheat?...Weizen?...not sure, but it was waaayyy better and I was hooked. That was 8 years ago.

P.S. I now realize those first kits tasted the same because it was the same crappy yeast, fermented at the same crappy temp (too high), bottled way to soon, and refrigerated after only two weeks of bottle conditioning. We were still proud of them, though (C'mon, two beer loving college dudes making their own beer, of course we were proud!)

Well, mine was a gift from my brother in law... He and his wife got me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas in 2008 and I brewed the West Coast Pale Ale that came with the kit. I thought the beer was kind of aweful, but I tried other Mr. Beer recipes. Then I wondered why I was paying $25 for a good Mr. Beer kit for 20 bottles of beer when I can pay that for 50+ with a real kit. The rest is history and now I'm doing all grain batches twice a month.

They created a monster...

My first was an Irish red brewed last April. I didn't think it was that great when we were drinking it, but since I have kept a few bottles of every brew I have done, I realize it was just green.

I had a sampling on Christmas day with my family and guess which one was the unanimous favorite.... Thats right. The red that was the first brew.

I am now doing 2-3 batches a month and spending way to much time on HBT....

The wife got me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas and it came with a can of Octoberfest and Vienna Malt. Right off the bat I combined the two and it came out great, it was amazing after two months in the bottles. Since then I've moved to extract and partial mash, of course when the money is right all grain is next. So far this year I've brewed 30 gallons and will continue to brew about 3 times a month.

A crappy extract batch that was supposed to be a pale ale, but turned into a crappy malt liquor. It's improved since then! The brewing, not the first batch.

First brew was a nut brown ale from a coopers can. Didn't turn out so well, I think it was because we used the yeast that was taped to the kit. It was under attenuated.

Second beer turned out way better, mini-mash red ale.

I still haven't brewed my first batch...i have finally pieced together all the equipment needed, but am now too broke to buy a kit to brew. :(

LMAO. In the mean time, i'm building a fermentation chamber and stir plate from spare parts i have in the shop.

True Brew Belgian. Got REALLY drunk with my FIL and brewed for my birthday (almost exactly a year ago!!!)...tasted like nanners :ban:

Belgian Wit kit from Austin Homebrew. In retrospect, I think my first time was actually quite a good brewing session. The beer didn't taste exactly like what I would have expected a witbier to taste like, but it could have been too low of a ferm temp, limiting the Belgian character, and I really didn't get a lot of coriander taste in the beer.

Here's a link to my first brew saga. Hard to believe it was about 9 months ago. Just finished my 4th brew session in January, drinking one right now (blonde ale from Brewing Classic Styles)

It was a Nut Brown from Arctic Brewing Supply in Anchorage Alaska. It got me hooked on brewing. That was almost 9 years ago

True brew double IPA. That kit comes w/ 7oz of hops! I loved it, even though after brewing a few more batches and reading up a bit, everything I've brewed since has come out better. I'm seriously thinking of ordering that same kit again just to see if I've gotten any better at this whole thing. I've done 9 batches now, and I've got a kit here that's waiting for a fermenter to be free.

A clone of my favorite beer in the world. I had no clue that temp. play a part into the taste. Needless to say the esters were so strong it was a banana beeer that became a "I dare you to drink" beer.

Best Brewer Oktoberfest... lol this was quite a few years ago.. about 4... first all grain was a Guinness clone which i had to dumb 75% of it, cuz it taste like butt....

My first homebrew was a Brewer's Best APA kit. Came out pretty good....got hooked and brewed 3 more batches before I even tasted that beer. Good thing I got on this forum and learned to disregard to kit instructions. I kept it in the primary for three weeks and 3 weeks in the bottle. Worth the wait.

Now I brew almost every weekend.

Brewers Best Weizenbier kit. Got good reviews from my buddy who had never had a homebrew. I think that he has caught the bug too!

devilishprune said:
After a quick search I couldn't find anything, so I thought that I would ask.

My first brew was a can and kilo Munton's Wheat beer kit that my SWMBO bought for me. She didn't know the monster she was creating :cross:. After I finished fermenting it, I concluded that it wasn't the worst beer I had ever had, but it wasn't the best either.

What was everyone's first brew here?

I think it was circa 1992. A can of hopped light malt and a bunch of corn sugar. And I loved it! ;-)

I think it was circa 1992. A can of hopped light malt and a bunch of corn sugar. And I loved it! ;-)

Corn sugar? You must have been a master brewer.

I pitched all cane sugar and just stirred it right into the primary about an hour after I pitched the yeast. I forgot to do it when I first made it. I also thought that the ABV was around 2% because I didn't know what the sugar was for! I was like, "Why are these 2% beers making me so drunk?"

Those were the good ol' days.

Mine was a Newcastle clone kit from my LHBS. it came out so good I was instantly hooked. Until then I was a BMC drinker and after my eyes were opened to homebrew I never looked back.

Mine was in '92 also, and I think it was Munton & Fison's hopped English Brown ale kit, with half corn sugar. (I still have the bag of sugar!) I had Joy of Homebrewing and thought I was a pro. This batch tasted like cider and I nearly gave up the hobby on the spot. Fortunately I had a neighbor who swapped a bomber of his homebrew for a 12 oz of mine. When I saw how good his was, I decided to improve my process, and he never gave me crap about the a$$-tasting beer I gave him.

Last month was my first and it was a Coopers Lager. Several brewing books later and I am now working on a Belgian Wit with my own little twist. I think I am hooked!

Back