too much foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptstubing

Reaction score
Hi,
I have searched the forum but cannot find an answer.

I Started my first ever brew about 24 hours ago, using a Coopers dark.
I followed directions, ~4L hot tap water, stir in the kit+malt, added ~16L cold/cool water, stirred it up nicely, added the yeast, put the lid on.

However, what I didnt realise was the wort bucked is just for stirring, I had no airlock on top, so this morning the lid was ready to blow. I relieved some pressure, called a friend, to which he said put it in the Carbide with airlock. So i cleaned the carbide carfully and siphoned the wort into it, stuck on the airlock with a little water in it.

Now I have a mess, 8 hours later I come home and its just way to much foam. I took the airlock off and just let it all come out. It is bubbling very fast, about 3 tablespoons a minute come out the top.

I'm not sure why there is so much foam, is it because of the transfer I did (should have done it after mixing was complete.

Also, one more thing, does the yeast go in AFTER I transfer to the carbide?
Thanks,
gabe

I think you mean carboy, since a carbide is a carbon compound in chemestry.

How much headspace do you have between your beer and the top? For a 5 gallon batch, you're going to want a 6 or 6.5 gallon primary fermenter so you have room for that foam to grow and fall.

Also, click on search up above the forum and type in "blowoff tube" and you'll learn all you need to know. A blowoff tube will help deal with the foam coming out better than an airlock can in the first few active days of fermentation.

Buckets are great for primary fermenters. Just drill a small hole in the lid to fit an airlock. I primary in a bucket and then secondary in a carboy.

And if you really want to just avoid dealing with lots of foam, do another search for "fermcap".

You need a blow-off tube for your carboy. It's normal for it to foam up while fermenting, it's called krausen. It's explained in the wiki: Blowoff tube - Home Brewing Wiki If you're using a 3 piece airlock you can just attach a hose to the top of the inside piece and submerge the other end in some sanitized water (usually in a jug or something). This lets the foam and CO2 out without worrying about something nasty getting in and infecting your beer.

I actually use the bucket for primary fermentation, but the lid needs a hole in it for a stopper and an airlock. You may have just a bottling bucket without a hole in the lid. The pressure created by fermentation needs to go somewhere, without letting anything unsanitary in.

Some more free online reading for you, a whole book! How To Brew

Back