Minor Mead freak-out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
Making a Cinnamon-Allspice-Cardomom mead, recipe most likely follows your typical mead recipe. I only made a gallon, it's sort of an experiment.

There was a fair amount of activity in the primary, which I have since moved to a 1-gal jug.

Once I moved it, airlock activity stopped, like, but good. That doesn't necessarily mean that the whole ferm is done, though. I tried to take a hydro reading- it dropped to the bottom of the jug, so no reading.

In an effort to re-start/stimulate fermentation, I added a half-tsp Yeast Energizer, and swished it all around in the jug- at which point I noticed a lot of bubbles coming out of suspension from the mead. It doesn't do diddly when I leave it alone (at least that the eye can see) but when I swish it/shake it, it makes lots of bubbles come out.

Which, strangely, smell like sulfur. Which is my other concern- granted, the whole project is very young, maybe 2 weeks old, and perhaps this is just a function of the way mead yeasts do their thing, but - Is This Normal? Sulfur smelling? Semi-apparent end to fermentation after 2 weeks?

I await advice from more experienced mead-makers.

I wouldn't worry about a sulphury smell just yet, it's common of ciders and some lagers like pilsners, so probably mead too. Also, racking and moving of carboys does tend to upset yeast activity. Give it a full 24 hours and it will resume where it left off. I think you're fine...for now...

:p

Okay, airlock activity is nil, but it looks like there's a fine coating of bubbles on the surface of the mead, so I think I'm okay for a while. I'll give it maybe a month and then check it out again.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. :mug:

Back