Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col_klink

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Total n00b here. I have read a lot about how important it is to maintain the proper temperature during fermentation. How long do you have to maintain these temperatures? In other words, once my fermentation is complete, but I am still 'aging' the beer in the carboy can I let the temperature go up to room temp or will this still potentially result in esters and/or off flavors?

You maintain the temps for the length of the fermentation. Letting the finished beer warm up to room temperature for a week won't harm the beer. Your risk for diacetyl and other fusel alcohols comes mostly in the initial few days of fermentation. Warming the beer up after the main fermentation is complete for your diacetyl rest is just fine, and helps to rouse the yeast.

Yup, room temp is great once fermentation is complete....you just want it stable.

Many of us start fermentation cool, then raise it up to room temp as it slows down to encourage the yeast to finish up. I.e., those flavors you mentioned are created during the very early phases of fermentation, not so much afterward.

Thanks for info! That's good news as it gets pretty warm here in NC in the summer. I eventually want to get an old fridge to use but it's gonna be a while, still trying to get all the stuff I need for all grain :(

I have been wondering about the thing but opposite. I have two fermenters in a fermenting chamber. One is fermenting awhile and causing a bit of heat. This cause the cooling to come on more and holds the chambers temp down by a few degrees. While the older beer is settling out and done fermenting its temp drop down to about 58ish. Will this cause any issues?

Nope, no problem. The cooler "cellar" temps are great for storing finished beer.

Back