Can I save it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasbrewnoob

Reaction score
So I made 4 gallons of cider, 2 of the gallons used brown sugar and the other two used white sugar. The brown sugar batch is delicious, while the other is not very pleasurable. For the sub par batch I would like to experiment with flavoring additives. I intend to throw a few cinnamon sticks in, half a cup of molasses, and some smoked hickory chips in an let it age for a while. Will this help or am i wasting my time? Btw this is my first cider experience.

We're going to need more information here. What kind of cider or juice did you use? Were these 1 gallon batches? What was the SG on each batch, and what is the gravity now? How long have they been fermenting? What stage are they at when you tasted them?

My best guess is that the white sugar batch just needs more time (it may become much better after sitting a few months), but not having any details at all it's impossible to tell.

The only difference between white and brown is a dab of molasses, they just take white sugar and blend it back with molasses. I have a hard time thinking one is dramatically different than the other...can you explain a little more?

So I made 4 gallons of cider, 2 of the gallons used brown sugar and the other two used white sugar. The brown sugar batch is delicious, while the other is not very pleasurable. For the sub par batch I would like to experiment with flavoring additives. I intend to throw a few cinnamon sticks in, half a cup of molasses, and some smoked hickory chips in an let it age for a while. Will this help or am i wasting my time? Btw this is my first cider experience.

That sounds quite nice actually. I would caution to go lighter on the cinnamon (say one stick) and taste it in a few weeks to see if you have a nice flavor going on. If so, rack it and age it. If not, let it sit on the oak/cinnamon a bit longer and taste it again. Don't throw it out! Good luck. :)

That much molasses will give it quite a malty overtone in my experiance. its a touchy additive.too little and you dont notice. and a little more and it overpowers and you find yourself mixing it with a bland batch.And than you mix those two recipe's and you get a WINNER!!! [maybe]

Latest posts

Back