Need an Opinion of my first All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_in_PA

Reaction score
I have been brewing extract and partial mash for a few years and have had great success. I recently made the transition to all grain brewing.
My first batch was a Saison. After initial fermation when I was about to bottle I noticed a higher than normal odor coming from the fermenting bucket. It didn't smell sour our spoiled just very heavy. My goal is to age it in the bottle for 30 days but today I did chill a bottle that was 14 days old as a sample. (don't we all do that) It poured very light and had a mild carbonation to it as expected for 14 days. But the taste was unlike any beer I ever brewed. For a light colored beer it tasted stronger than a Guiness and I could not figure out why it tasted so harsh. I never had a batch go bad. How do you know its bad? Is a light color and heavy taste to be expected from a Saison? I appreciate any input. Thank you

None of those profiles fit. The Saison came out light and golden. It poured beautifully but it tasted like a Guinness with a heavier aftertaste. Is that what a Saison taste like? I choose it because I was told it was a simple recipe for a first All grain attempt.

Saison's can be weird and kick out an awful lot of flavor depending on the yeast and temperature fermented at. Heavy is a rather vague descriptor. By heavier aftertaste do you mean a lingering taste? Or bad taste? OR something else?

Thank you for your help:
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: 01-12-12 bottled 44 bottles. Beer smelled heavy alcohol but tasted OK at bottling

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 93.0 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.0 %
0.75 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 28.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4 1.1 IBUs
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 5 -
1.0 pkg American Farmhouse Blend (White Labs #WL Yeast 6 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 14.44 qt of water at 162.8 F 152.0 F 60 min (Mash time exceeded by an addtional hour)

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.97 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes: (Mash steep time exceeded by an addtional hour due to a distraction)
------

I have a feeling the heavy taste you talk about comes from the .75 Sorachi Ace at 60. Thats going to over power a saison in my opinion. I see it as only 28.5 IBU's in your recipe but comes out to over 53 in BS. Is this over bitterness what your talking about?

I bet your right. It was my first time using the Sorachi. I had beer that tasted overly hoppy, I am not getting that but I bet it is the strong Sorachi. I just opened another to verify. It is a beautiful beer in color there is no sign that the beer is bad. I am just not use to a Saison and I think that is the way it taste. Thank you for your help and I will be careful with the Sorachi in the future.

Errr...the issue you're having is that you used a farmhouse blend that has brett. It's probably the funk that you're referring to.

I assume you mean brettanomyces yeast. I was just about t point the finger at the Sorachi and now i am not sure. To be honest, this is one of the most clearest light amber beers I have ever brewed. It looks like great, I just need to get the taste in order. I am trying to learn from each batch and make adjustments. Just not sure what I need to adjust now.

Thats what i mean. It will give some intense flavors, especially since it was pitched at the beginning. You probably have some intense phenols and esters from the belgian yeast and some horsy, sweaty, wet dog funk from the brett. Those two things are very powerful flavor producers. If you want a fruity saison, use a belgian yeast strain that isnt blended with a brett strain.

Its extremely important to read yeast descriptions. They play just as important a role in your final beer as your grain or hop bill.

Yeah, thats a rough style for your first all grain. With those hops and that yeast, this is going to be one funky beer. I would LOVE it lol! It is going to be anything but "normal" tasting.

Also, color and taste are not always related. Guiness is actually a fairly light dry beer. You can have a Double IPA that is "normal" colored but really sweet, malty and hoppy all at once. Its not about color.

Back