No bubbles......but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6357

Reaction score
No noticeable bubbles in the air lock but there is the sulphur smell so I know the yeast is working.

Either I'm not seeing the bubbles or, some CO2 is leaking out around lid maybe? It's on tight.......airlock is secure.

No noticeable bubbles in the air lock but there is the sulphur smell so I know the yeast is working.

Either I'm not seeing the bubbles or, some CO2 is leaking out around lid maybe? It's on tight.......airlock is secure.

Bucket lids are notoriously leaky. Smell does seem to indicate fermentation. Just leave it alone for a week or two, then take a hydrometer reading.

Bucket lids are notoriously leaky. Smell does seem to indicate fermentation. Just leave it alone for a week or two, then take a hydrometer reading.

When you take the reading will the O2 hurt hinder if I'm not quite there yet?

kyle6357 said:
When you take the reading will the O2 hurt hinder if I'm not quite there yet?

Co2 is heavier than air, so as long as you don't tip the bucket, slosh it around, or do some other crazy thing, then your beer will be perfectly fine to open the lid and get enough for a OG sample.
Use a sanitized thief or sanitized turkey baster

Back