priming questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyboy

Reaction score
Hi guys just have a question for you all.
I just kegged my lager and I primed my plastic keg with sugar.
I bottled about 10 bottles and the rest is clearing nice.
My question is there is a lot of pressure in the keg and I have not put any co2 into yet
Is this from the sugar 230g I put in and also have I done it right. Most people by the looks of it bulk prime and then bottle but I've primed the barrel and let it carbonate by its self.
Any suggestions would be great
Thanks guys

What size batch? 230g of sugar seems like a lot for 5 gallons. And yes, the pressure you are getting is from the yeast fermenting this sugar.

Sorry guys I should reread my post before posting lol
I primed with 120g of sugar :)

I havent started kegging yet. But I didnt think you needed to prime if force carbing with CO2. I would also think that if you did add priming sugar to the keg then you wouldnt really need CO2 unless it were to maintain the pressure or something. Like I said, I havent started kegging so I am probably confused.... Looking forward to learning though...

Other than that, the sugar amount seems right for a 5 gallon batch though I usually use a bit more at ~142g. But I like a well carbed brew!

Did you prime the whole batch with 120g ad then put some of the batch in the keg? It did you put 120g of sugar in the keg.

I sense a dangerous lack of knowledge about kegging and carbonation.

Kegging in plastic (??)

I hope I'm wrong in thinking that you might think that the brew will carbonate mearly from the addition of priming sugar. The real key to carbonation is CO2 pressure -and lots of it -too much for most plastic vessels. You either provide from a secondary source like a CO2 hi pressure bottle, or from the active yeast by priming. Either method only works in a closed system which will develope pressures in excess of say ~35 psi up to ??

I hope I'm wrong.

Brewskii said:
The real key to carbonation is CO2 pressure -and lots of it -too much for most plastic vessels.

Lots of plastic vessels are fine for carbonation. For example, about a billion soda bottles that are produced every day. Mr. Beer kits come with plastic bottles. Also, I have seen small party kegs which are plastic, I believe they are called a party pig? I'm guessing that's a brand name.

If the vessel was designed for carbonated liquids, it should be fine...to a point. The brewer needs to understand how much carbonation will come from a set amount of sugar. I hope he does, or he is headed for a sticky mess.

freisste said:
Lots of plastic vessels are fine for carbonation. For example, about a billion soda bottles that are produced every day. Mr. Beer kits come with plastic bottles. Also, I have seen small party kegs which are plastic, I believe they are called a party pig? I'm guessing that's a brand name.

If the vessel was designed for carbonated liquids, it should be fine...to a point. The brewer needs to understand how much carbonation will come from a set amount of sugar. I hope he does, or he is headed for a sticky mess.

Perhaps I should have clarified....You are correct, I was thinking in terms of large vessels -what the OP labeled a "keg". I don't think most people would be thinking of "about a billion soda bottles" as plastic kegs.

1) there are 5 gallon plastic kegs/barrels
2) you can naturally carbonate beer in a keg like the OP is doing
3) pressurized CO2 is then used to dispense the beer (though this is not necessary if you are going for a traditional cask-conditioned style...though then you'll need a beer engine to dispense the beer)

To the OP - 120 grams is much more in line with what I would expect for 5 gallons. Are you sure the beer was finished? What was the FG?

Hi yes the beer had finished fermentation.
The keg I referred to was a plastic one witch has a valve ontop like the one in the photo sorry for any confusion :)

ForumRunner_20121206_140625.jpg

I was told it was ok to prime with sugar and told to use 120g for 23L coopers lager.
I bottled 10 pints and left the rest so I would be able to pull a pint off the barrel when ever I needed to.
I was told that I would need to use co2 when the barrel ran out of pressure so as to keep the beer from getting infected and keep the beer fresh.
Just hope I've been given the right advice :)

mattyboy said:
Hi yes the beer had finished fermentation.
The keg I referred to was a plastic one witch has a valve ontop like the one in the photo sorry for any confusion :)

I was told it was ok to prime with sugar and told to use 120g for 23L coopers lager.
I bottled 10 pints and left the rest so I would be able to pull a pint off the barrel when ever I needed to.
I was told that I would need to use co2 when the barrel ran out of pressure so as to keep the beer from getting infected and keep the beer fresh.
Just hope I've been given the right advice :)

Cool;

Ive not seen one of those before. I'd say your on the right track...sorta like a plastic Firkin. Looks like a simple outlet cock on that. Once it's carbed I would think it would be tough to get a good pour off of it. As long as they told you it's pressure rated I'd say you are on the right track.

Leave it sealed and as long as there are no leaks It should carb in 1-2 weeks depending on the headspace.
*edit:
I would double check with the manufacturer or whomever sold it to you that you are using it as intended. My instinct would be not to trust it and it sounds from the OP that that's your instinct as well.

I would double check with the manufacturer or whomever sold it to you that you are using it as intended. My instinct would be not to trust it and it sounds from the OP that that's your instinct as well.

+1
I only have the picture to go by, but it doesn't look particularly sturdy. Proceed with caution.

That keg is fine for what you are using it for. I do the same with mine. It sounds like the right amount of sugar. How long have you had your beer in there?
Keep in mind it works the same as a bottle. It will need at least three weeks before the gas spreads into the beer (if that makes sense)

I'm not a pro but I have experience with kegs.

How full is the keg? I think it needs to be at least 3/4 full to work properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi it's only been in the barrel for 5 days so it's got a wile to go.
It's about 3/4 full and even after 5 days it's looking good looks to be clearing nice. Thanks for the video link :)
I've just done a wine kit for my brother and he loves it lol.
Now I'm home here is a pic of my keg
Thanks guys for all your comments

ForumRunner_20121206_221636.jpg

I think so ? I was told to add co2 as and when I needed to ie when the pressure dropped? Anyway it should be ok I think as its just a barrel and the pressure relief valve should keep it at the right pressure.
I've got 2 of this type and I've got a coopers lager fermenting as I speak but this time I'll use co2 and no priming sugar and see how it go's.
I've read post after post and looked all over the net for info but there is so much to learn it's hard to take it all in lol.
It's a big leaning curve.

It's definitely a big learning curve, but you'll get there. You'll be learning for years, so don't think you are going to master the art anytime soon.

As far as the pressure relief, does your CO2 source have a regulator? I'd hate to hear you hooked up a tank and its pressure was above the max of your valve and it just emptied itself.

No all I do is screw the co2 bottle on and give it a couple of squirts and the relief valve will release any over pressure.

I learned something today. Thanks all for the links. This wasn't my issue but an excellent example on how the HBT community works.

Back