Dry hopping question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflem550

Reaction score
I have an IPA that set in the primary for two weeks.....everything settled to the bottom and I racked to the secondary. I threw in an ounce of Simcoe pellets (not bagged) and they all floated on top and broke apart and floated on top. they have been there for two weeks and show no sign of sinking.

Do you think it will take more time or should I just go ahead and rack to my bottling bucket whenever I'm ready?

I just dry hopped my IPA with an ounce of simco pellets. I crushed them before hand with a mortar and pestle and there was tons of hop trub on the bottom of the vessel even with some still sitting on top. My guess is you're fine. I would honestly rack the beer to tertiary and smell it along the way. If it smells good give it about a day or two to clean and then bottle / keg. The only reason I say give it a tertiary is because my dry hop was hella cloudy when I moved it at all from the hop trub.

hmm.....shoulda crushed them. didn't think about that. thanks.

since they are on top and the trub is on the bottom, i'll just have to rack the best i can with a bag over the cane. my only other carboy is tied up right now with german apple wine. :)

i guess i could rack to bottling bucket, clean out my secondary and then transfer back to the carboy. or just leave it in the bottling bucket.

I never crush mine- I just chuck them in. When I rack, I just try to keep the tip of the racking cane above the trub on the bottom, and it worked pretty well. I didn't get hop leaves through at all.

rflem550 said:
hmm.....shoulda crushed them. didn't think about that. thanks.

since they are on top and the trub is on the bottom, i'll just have to rack the best i can with a bag over the cane. my only other carboy is tied up right now with german apple wine. :)

i guess i could rack to bottling bucket, clean out my secondary and then transfer back to the carboy. or just leave it in the bottling bucket.

Rack and avoid your bottom trub and hop matter...screen the output of the racking cane or screen your spigot on your bottling bucket if you pickup any debris.

What do you need to rack to another carboy for? If it is a question of needing more secondary time, I typically start my dry hop so that it concludes when I have scheduled bottling.

Back