Cleaning outdoor burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtcpilot

Reaction score
I need some help with my outdoor propane burner. I bought it a year ago at bass pro shops for turkey frying and it worked great (for frying and brewing( different pots of course)). During a few of my brew sessions I've had boil overs and now when I use the burner it just completely coats the bottom with carbon. Any suggestions on cleaning or repairing this thing or should I just throw in the towel and get a new one?

The carbon issue means that the burner isn't getting enough air. Look where the propane comes in. There should be an opening for adjusting the air mix. You may have wort in there but a spider web would do it too.

Use a heavy-duty caustic. Oven Cleaner is a good start that you can find at any grocery store. Let it soak overnight in the oven cleaner and then use something like a grill brush to clean it up a bit.

The carbon issue means that the burner isn't getting enough air. Look where the propane comes in. There should be an opening for adjusting the air mix. You may have wort in there but a spider web would do it too.

Sure as not that s likely the culprit! Look at the flame, if you see a lot of orange its not burning right. If you don't see any orange, its burning right. Air to gas ratio is important. Something could have just got bumped on the valve or its clogged up.

Cleaning won't hurt either.

They tend to rust out really quickly. If they rusting on the outside, they're rusting on the inside as well. They are also really easy to take apart and clean. You might want to get package of pipe cleaners and make it a regular habit of cleaning it out.

If you wait too long, the rust will prevent you from cleaning them out at all...

I've been thinking about just replacing it. It has a 20 minute safety timer on it which is a pain in the butt. Im thinking about the bayou classic kick a banjo. Any reviews from current users?

I removed the timer on my turkey fryer because it was such a pain. I found the threads to be a standard pipe thread.

Back