Carbonating multiple kegs on one tank??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigmonjp

Reaction score
I am new to brewing but want to start kegging (not a fan of bottling). My only question up to this point is can you carbonate multipul kegs off one tank, assuming basic force carbonating. If so is there a minimum size to get?

Any help is appreciated.

I'd get a 5# or larger. I like a 10# cylinder- it fits in the fridge ok, and lasts longer than the smaller tank (unless you have a leak!).

You can do this several ways- use a WYE fitting for a couple of kegs, or a distributor for the gas for many kegs. I have both, actually. I have a 4-way distributor on one side of the WYE and just a quick disconnect for the other WYE. That's mostly because I want to top off a carboy with a shot of co2, or fill a soda bottle and use a carbonator cap, or to push the sanitizer through without taking anything off of the distributor. Like everything I do in brewing, it may be overkill for many!

You can even simpler T fittings, but make sure you have check valves installed. More pressure in one keg and cause backflow into your regulator or other tanks if you don't add a check valve.

One regulator will work for multiple kegs if they are all at the same PSI. If you want different pressures, you'll need a regulator for each setting. If you want to do soda on one, and beer on another, for example, you'd need two primary regulators. Still one co2 thank, though!

Currently my setup is 7 outputs off a 5 pound tank. I have to swap the tank out every few months. I would love to get a 10 pound but my shop only does an exchange on 5 pounds and I don't want to pay to get the tank re-certified

sigmonjp - great question. I've been thinking about doing the same. I will probably go with a 2 tap system off a 10# tank (already have).

thanks for all the feedback. i feel like going with a 10# tank would be the best way to go

I have a 20lb that I can exchange at the local gas supply shop. It lasts about a year.

I had a 10# tank on a five tap setup that lasted me maybe... 4 months? I've since upgraded to a 20# tank for that keezer, and moved the 10# out to the garage for weezer (smaller 3 tap keezer!)

I would love to see a pic of your kegging set up yooper...

i have a 1 keg set up, and want to "y" several kegs together.

should have bought a manifold, i asked if this was possible when ordering, and was told i need a regulator for each keg...

Back