EAC strikes on Ebay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Man, you always feel great when you score some brewaphernalia on the cheap. I picked up a 20lb CO tank for $52 shipped. BUT, the loser keeps giving me one excuse after another why he hasn't shipped more than two weeks after payment was made. Then he acts like he's doing me a favor and tells me he'll return whatever feedback I leave. I paid via Visa and don't mind disputing the charges but I've given him today, last chance to send and give me a tracking number for the simple reason that you can't get a 20lb for under $80 anywhere.

There's a bunch of jerks on Ebay that use retailitory negative feedback or the threat of it to keep from getting the feedback they deserve. I say post the truth to help others let people know he uses retalitory feedback and live with the results. You can always respond to his negative feedback with a response. Nobody is going to hold a negative feedback like that against you IMHO.

Yeah, I've seen that before. Pretty damn obnoxious, but I can understand your wanting to put up with it for such a deal. Good luck, whatever happens.

Let us know how it works out and post his Ebay user name so others can avoid that seller's auctions.

I agree. The seller needs to leave feedback as soon as money is received, and the buyer should leave feedback as soon as item is received or there should be a time limit on a buyer having to wait to receive an item, like 2-3 weeks or something.

Apply for a refund from PayPal. That'll put a candle under his bum.

EDIT: You didn't use PayPal. Just saw that. Bad idea. Now it'll take at least 90 days to get your refund.

I hate ebay, I'll never use it for selling again. I've had 4 auctions ended early because some guy in Nigeria thought he could scam me out of 2 laptops. Sick of it, what a PITA to get all the listing money back and report scammers, deal with paypal because you got paid with stolen money, blah blah... screw ebay.

Nigerian ISPs should be banned.

They've proven unable to contain the crime. It's a total joke to them and they don't seem to care. Since they can't play nice with the internet, take it away from all of them.:off:

Yeah you know with all of the spam filters on my e-mail accounts why do I still get mail from Nigeria? I mean a guy can only have so many distant relatives with 50 million who died working the diamond mines or whatever.

Actually regarding refunds. I paid directly with my Visa card and my bank will refund a bad transaction within two days of filing a report. I didn't have to do it since a threat to do so got the tank shipped with a tracking number. I just told the guy that if I don't see a departure scan on a tracking number destined for my town by tonight, the Visa paperwork was going to be filed the next day. I received the tank.

He was still careful to say he would return whatever feedback I left. Hmmm, let's see. I paid within a day of auction close and he shipped 16 days after that. Real equal. Of course, most people don't read the details of feedback, they judge by positive percentage. I don't know if I'm willing to scar my 100%. Thoughts?

The ID in question is quickecash1 (suits him as quickship would be false)

You should post exactly that:

Seller took 16 days to ship and threatened to leave negative feedback for me, even though I was a good customer, if I posted the truth.

Short simple and to the point. Better yet, I think this would sway me from entering into a transaction more than just a general negative would. Not only is he a procrastinator, which I could handle, but he's also an ******* and untrustworthy.:mad:

Bobby_M said:
He was still careful to say he would return whatever feedback I left. Hmmm, let's see. I paid within a day of auction close and he shipped 16 days after that. Real equal. Of course, most people don't read the details of feedback, they judge by positive percentage. I don't know if I'm willing to scar my 100%. Thoughts?

I do read the comments. I want to see if the neg. feedback is justifed, retaliatory, or just some jerk. You can't please everyone when dealing with the general public.

I got a retaliatory just from saying email me before you bid. The guy called me various names but he's the one that looks bad in doing so. I left a comment to his neg. feedback and a followup comment on my original neg. to the guy. It's hasn't stopped anyone from selling to me. I don't think anyone would be hesitant to buy from me if I had a problem with a seller. And if all I've done is cause fewer people to bid his auctions then it's cost him money in the form of lower bids.

I've gotten email from people saying they wish they had looked at his feedback before they bid.

If his excuses seem justified cut him some slack. If the guy's a jerk I feel like I have a obligation to let other ebayer's know what kind of person they are dealing
with. After all that's the only way to get an idea of what to expect if you "win".
And if people don't read the comments then that's their problem my conscience is clear.

Thanks for posting his id here so people reading this post know.

Bobby_M said:
Actually regarding refunds. I paid directly with my Visa card and my bank will refund a bad transaction within two days of filing a report. I didn't have to do it since a threat to do so got the tank shipped with a tracking number. I just told the guy that if I don't see a departure scan on a tracking number destined for my town by tonight, the Visa paperwork was going to be filed the next day. I received the tank.

Do you NEED his feedback to build your eBay transaction record? If not, I think it is preferable to just not leave feedback than to provide good feedback. Who knows, in the future he might even slip up and leave positive feedback for you -- then you can come back and nail him!

While I hate bozos like this (that are all too common on Ebay now), I dislike eBay even more for allowing this sort of thing to happen. But I guess they just don't have the resources to follow-up on every complaint they receive, which sets up this nasty feed-back loop where bad behaviour is tolerated even further, encouraging it more, making eBay even LESS able to deal with it.

abracadabra said:
I do read the comments. I want to see if the neg. feedback is justifed, retaliatory, or just some jerk. You can't please everyone when dealing with the general public.

I do too. I buy from people that have negatives. It's usually pretty easy to tell who was wrong just by the language. I also look back at the other feedback that people who leave neagative feedbacks get.

I would honestly trust a person MORE if they took an unjustified negative in order to report a bad ebayer.

I think there is an obligation on everyones part to post their transaction information. You don't have to be negative or positive you just need to say what happened. You don't need to call the guy an a$$ but if you say it took a long time for him to send it and in e-mail correspondence he said "blah...". Thats all you need to say. E-bay only works with an honest accounting. Otherwise it becomes a national want ad posting with nothing to balance it.

FlyGuy said:
While I hate bozos like this (that are all too common on Ebay now), I dislike eBay even more for allowing this sort of thing to happen. But I guess they just don't have the resources to follow-up on every complaint they receive, which sets up this nasty feed-back loop where bad behaviour is tolerated even further, encouraging it more, making eBay even LESS able to deal with it.

It has less to do with resources than their business model: why bother? I bought something a year ago and promptly paid via paypal the next day. After two weeks with no delivery, I sent an email asking what the hold up was. Three days later I sent another. A few days later I went to the seller's feedback to see if any other's feedback in the last few weeks would reflect the poor service. A couple others had posted negatives with the same issues I was having. So we started emailing each other about if anyone had gotten anything back from the seller and nobody had.

I sent an email to eBay and got some canned, hands-off response along the lines of "we can't do anything so you'll just have to contact Paypal". Duh... you're all the same company. How bout you just tag her credit card that you have on file and refund me right now? Nope... can't do that.

The kicker is that a few months later, I saw the seller's username selling the same products she flaked out on. And the reason they didn't ban her from selling again is... ?

Well,I'm pretty torn on it. I so want to nail him in principal. He has done this once before:

slow shipping-19 days- promised reinburshment and did not follow through
Reply by quickecash1: I was told it would be for spring use then they changed their mind Impatient
Follow-up: paid within 1 hr he was told ASAP stalled 3 wks is not impatient.

He did retaliate on the guy.

Member Profile: quickecash1 (274)
Feedback Score: 274
Positive Feedback: 98.9%

I have 149, 100%.

Auction closed 1/21/07 and I spent a couple days emailing him trying to get a shipping quote/total. He finally gave me his number and I gave him my CC number on 1/23/07 and he charged my card on 1/26/07. He got it shipped on 2/12/07.

So, from the time I gave him credit card to ship date is 20 days. No matter what his deal is, that is a LONG time to dick around. He claimed the tank iced up when he tried draining the tank. OK, take them someplace warm and get to it.

It turns out the tank is out of hydro and needs inspection so that's one more week of waiting for me. Great.

I wouldnt think twice about nailing him with negative feedback.

I too look at the comments, and would not think any less of a seller for having justified (retaliatory) negative feedback.

- magno

Back