Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude00

Reaction score
I am new to brewing. I brewed my first beer today and everything went well. When i was finished i put the air lock on and moved it to my basement as i was moving it some of the water in the airlock got sucked to the bucket. Should i be worried? I did sanitize the air lock and everything with bleach . I filled the airlock with tap water. After it happen i removed the tap water and filled the airlock with vodka . But know i am a bit worried about that water that got in to my wort . I just worried that my beer is ruined . Any one have any info?:confused:

mine did the same things... mine fermented fine. I had sanitized water in the airlock and now i use vodka because im sure there's a good chance more will get sucked in too

Thanks for the info . I do feel better knowing that it happen to someone else at it turned out fine

It happens to everyone at least once and I've never heard of it doing anything bad to beer. It could of course do something but the odds are ridiculously low.

mine did the same things... mine fermented fine. I had sanitized water in the airlock and now i use vodka because im sure there's a good chance more will get sucked in too

izzy wawas sanisizzedd whar'eu wassitn pefretly god wodka?
translation: "If the water's sanitized, why are you wasting perfectly good vodka?

Beer is mainly H2O! RDWHAHB! The odds are pretty much zero that that sucked in water will do anything. There's a bunch of other microbes that are in the wort. Beer is never sterile: the best you can do is have an environment that favors a lot of yeast cells to take up shop and have an orgy. That's the best description of fermentation that I can think of. Keeping proper sanitation techniques will help reduce any chance of bacteria taking up shop and competing with those yeasties....and utilizing starters and aerating is the only true way to have a healthy yeast cell count that will have a clean ferment.

Back