White house beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
robotgas said:
Thanks, Pappers.
Bottlebomber, if that comment was aimed at me, no need to worry. While I respect the need for hops, I am by no means a hophead. Knock yourself out!

I said the same thing once. I HATED hoppy beers Then i tried a fresh and unmolested home brewed American ipa WOW! I still find nearly all commercial craft hoppy beers undrinkable. It's just not fresh. My last brew was an American ipa, used 7oz of hops, and isnt even bitter. Glad you joined us! Cheers.

sloose said:
I said the same thing once. I HATED hoppy beers Then i tried a fresh and unmolested home brewed American ipa WOW! I still find nearly all commercial craft hoppy beers undrinkable. It's just not fresh. My last brew was an American ipa, used 7oz of hops, and isnt even bitter. Glad you joined us! Cheers.

Could you please PM me that recipe?

The porter is tasting great. The honey ale is super cloudy and has kind of a strange aftertaste. Anyone else get that? Maybe it's just from the honey?

sloose said:

Thanks, sloose. You just expanded my horizons. I'll definitely add an American IPA to the list to give it a shot. I'd appreciate a hint to a good extract recipe. I definitely plan to switch to all-grain, but want to get a few more extracts under my belt first.

I am very happy with Northern Brewer's Dead Ringer Ale extract kit. A bit expensive at $44.99 plus yeast. But turned out really good.

Drinking a Whitehouse honey ale now.

Pours a brownish and dark ruby color with a thick light tan head that thins to a film and leaves moderate lacing as the beer is drunk.
The aroma is of a malty sweet ale with a subtle sharpness. Not an alcohol or extreme hops sharpness though.
The up front taste is a malty sweet ale with a nice hop compliment right behind it.
Mouth feel is... thicker than thin.
I can't say I could pick up on honey flavor if I didn't know it was in here, but it does have an extra flavor of sorts. I would certainly peg it as an ale though.

All in all, I'm damn glad I made this beer and it's one I'll make again. And drink again. Right now :cheers:

Hey all-

I imagine there's a good chance this question is answered somewhere in the preceding 28 pages, but I gave up after page 7. Can anyone confirm what the OG and FG are for this WH honey ale is? Northern Brewer pegs OG at 1.062. Are other people getting that number? I'm going by the WH press release recipe, and I'm wondering how much of a starter to make.

Cheers

Well, we checked the FG today and it was down to about 1.021. It's been 3 weeks, so we got everything sanitized, set up, primed and commenced our bottling. Mostly flip tops and a few with the capper. Looked like beer, spelled like beer. The color was a little on the amber side-just an observation-I like the color. Now we wait. The directions recommend conditioning at 75 degrees, which might be a bit tricky for this house. I plan to test the first one at halloween. Thank you to all those above that got me this far!

Zuljin said:
Mine was,
Start 1.070 End 1.018 for 6.7% abv

I only re-hydrated the yeast while brewing.

Thanks Zuljin. I ask about the starter because I'm going to use White Labs 005 instead of Danstar Windsor.

Hey all-

I imagine there's a good chance this question is answered somewhere in the preceding 28 pages, but I gave up after page 7. Can anyone confirm what the OG and FG are for this WH honey ale is? Northern Brewer pegs OG at 1.062. Are other people getting that number? I'm going by the WH press release recipe, and I'm wondering how much of a starter to make.

Cheers

I plugged the White House Honey Ale extract recipe into Beersmith and got 1.053. I think those with higher OGs are adapting the recipe, perhaps.

Pappers_ said:
I plugged the White House Honey Ale extract recipe into Beersmith and got 1.053. I think those with higher OGs are adapting the recipe, perhaps.

Beersmith doesnt have the Windsor hop, what did you sub?

When I ran the extract recipe, I got an OG of 1.063 (I think). We swapped extract for Maris Otter for the same OG based on my friend's MLT efficiency, neglected to measure, but should be in the 1.060-1.065 range. We had an FG of 1.016. He bottled while I was on vacation, so I haven't tasted, but apparently we got a noticeable honey flavor and a fair amount of residual sweetness. I'm picking up my half of the batch tomorrow.

My starting gravity was about 1.065. I added more honey after one week, so i don't know how to calculate the alcohol due to the change in ingredients after the first measurement. What do u guys think? How do u calculate ABV if u added more sugar after primary fermentation?

superfknmario said:
My starting gravity was about 1.065. I added more honey after one week, so i don't know how to calculate the alcohol due to the change in ingredients after the first measurement. What do u guys think? How do u calculate ABV if u added more sugar after primary fermentation?

Software. For a pound of honey in a 5 gallon batch it would add about .005 or so to the gravity.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll look for those numbers when I go for it (maybe this weekend?). Now I just need to figure out how to sweet talk the guys over at 1600 Penn. out of some of that honey...

Cheers! :mug:

OhReally said:
Hey all-

Cheers

My Austin Homebrew extract kit (w/out added "alcohol booster,") read as follows:
Original SG= 1.057
Final SG= 1.013
Unless my math is wrong, that puts it at 5.76% ABV.

My SG readings were right on with these listed in the directions I received with the kit.
I still have a couple of weeks before I can crack one open, though.

i think you're missing something.. because my plug-in gave me 1.067 as a target SG

I'm waiting for mine to bottle condition... my test bottles (12oz) have all been flat... dead flat. i'm wondering if my corn sugar syrup didnt mix well enough. Fingers crossed that my bombers will be OK, since a majority of the batch is in bombers. I'd hate to have to dump the whole batch. I used WLP002, i doubt I'll be using that again.

Alright what kinda honey you all use? I have a local bee lady I can get jars from just didn't know if it need to be filtered pasteurized or any of that other happy b.s. thanks for any info

Silly me- I actually followed the 'original' recipe and only added 1/2 oz. of fuggles. Now I'm ready to bottle and it tastes like. . . well, not much. Is there any way to add the 1oz of hops that's missing or did I just ruin it? :confused:

Have to say its freaking awesome that they put their recipes out. I'm new to brewing two extract kits under my belt. I def will try the porter one !
Slainte

EBrewMD said:
Silly me- I actually followed the 'original' recipe and only added 1/2 oz. of fuggles. Now I'm ready to bottle and it tastes like. . . well, not much. Is there any way to add the 1oz of hops that's missing or did I just ruin it? :confused:

If you add the hops now you'll end up with some kind of goofed up IPA or maybe a **********

EBrewMD said:

It is definitely not ruined. I would drink it as is and keep the ounce for a future brew day. In my experience mistakes often lead to great beer.

You could dry hop with the extra ounce. That would give a nice aroma to the beer and add a bit of taste but it would not be as intended. You won't get any bitterness from a dry hop though the 1.5 oz of fuggles wasn't giving much anyway.

Alright what kinda honey you all use? I have a local bee lady I can get jars from just didn't know if it need to be filtered pasteurized or any of that other happy b.s. thanks for any info
I used local wildflower honey from a farmer's market. Having said that, I also boiled it for 60 min per the instructions...I wanted to make it like they do as a baseline and adjust from there. When you're boiling it for 60 min, I don't think it really matters what kind of honey you use.

I got some honey sourced from DC hives, one in the Georgetown neighborhood and another in Shaw (if you don't know DC, they're both a mile to a mile and a half from the White House as the crow- or bee- flies, maybe less). Perks of living 5 minutes from DC I guess. Haven't done the porter yet, but the Shaw honey went into the Honey Ale.

I just tried my 12oz WH Honey Ale. This is my first home brew. Wow, wasn't ready for the flavor, I so new that really don't know all the lingo yet, but I think it is pretty hoppy. Anyway I am pretty stoked. I am going to put a few sixers in the fridge and share with my co_workers. IPA up next for me, just gotta get the family over this bug so I can have some me time in the ktichen

ForumRunner_20121016_182030.png

hendew_24 said:
I just tried my 12oz WH Honey Ale. This is my first home brew. Wow, wasn't ready for the flavor, I so new that really don't know all the lingo yet, but I think it is pretty hoppy. Anyway I am pretty stoked. I am going to put a few sixers in the fridge and share with my co_workers. IPA up next for me, just gotta get the family over this bug so I can have some me time in the ktichen

Wow! Mine doesn't look that dark and it still in the carboy

Back