Crazy brews - 7 days 7 brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stocky_S

Reaction score
As i stated yesterday i had decided to do a melon wine

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/honeydew-melon-wine-whats-your-craziest-brew-357461/

Well today starts the next of the crazy brews
Tea!!!

I like many, love a good brew so why not make it a little more fun and add some alcohol, well so far I've put 5 teabags (twinings), 500g of caster/granulated sugar and 1 liter of hot water into a bowl once it cools i will add the yeast and put it in a demijohn.

This lead me to think of an idea which can be easy and fun for everyone involved.

Here it is

get together 7 2 liter bottles or other fermenting containers of around this size,

then for 1 week (date to be decided by us all) we start, every day we make a 2L brew with random things we find around the house, whether that be orange juice or coffee the crazier the better, then take a picture, wack it on this thread.

At the end of 2 weeks fermenting time take a group photo of all the crazy brews (including the complete fails)

Taste

Rate

Done

Hopefully we'll find some nice new mixes and all have a laugh, for the price of a few bags of sugar and some bits from around the house it should be fairly cheap too.

Anyone who's interested chime in with an idea of what weeks would be best for you :mug:

Thanks
Stocky_s

I am game for this. I just got paid this week so and good to go any time.

if my wife wouldn't kill me and i had more room i would be in. when we get a house i'm so going to try this.

Fair enough, however for anyone else interested its only 7 2 liter bottles that wont take up much more space than a brew bucket, if not people can do 1 liter ones as its more the amount of different ones than the volume of them.
Stocky_s

I think I will take on this challenge. How about starting on the 7th? 7 wines, 7 days, kick off on the 7th? So, each person makes "whatever" or do we each make the same thing? Post daily? Close out on week 2---won't that be too soon? Surely update at that time, but I do not know many ferments that are consumable within 2 short weeks.

Hmm, I think I'm game, if I can find something silly enough. Coffee? (since you kicked off with teabags) Or maybe juice up some seasonal vegetables. We've got bell peppers aplenty, tomatoes, courgettes (zucchini), aubergines, cucumbers. Hmm, but I reckon they will just produce a boring wine of some sort. Gazpacho wine, ha ha.

Will have to dig around the house some more to find something lunatic enough... Got tons of chilli peppers - was going to make some kind of chilli sauce, but maybe chilli wine instead..?

Hmm, I have an assortment of hot peppers (cayenne, serano, and some ornamental purple peppers) and garlic. Maybe I can do a gallon of some cooking wine with them.

I'm stoked on this idea! Got a busy schedule as of late, but I want to participate as much as possible!

Seems to me that most strange and not-so-strange combinations of fruit/veg, soft drinks etc. have been done. Maybe we need to get really bizarre, like liquidise a couple of Big Macs or a KFC Variety Bucket into the primary. Burger beer or chicken-wing wine anyone?

Trouble is you have no choice but to add sugar in some form which is going to spoil the effect, plus you don't really know what the yeast is going to do to the flavours... Only one way to find out, I suppose...

God buffalo wing wine lol! So do we want to agree on a date to start? 10/07/2012?

Sorry for the late reply guys, looks like we have a fair amount of people

@saramc: We would all make whatever not all make the same things :)

The 7th sounds good
Is everyone else ok with that?

PICTURES:
picture every day of the new brew
This would end on the 21st when everyone will take photos of finished products whether bottled or still in a keg.

Thanks again
Stocky_s

Works for me! I have been brainstorming while looking at things in my pantry, refrig/freezer. Have banned myself from looking for existing recipes online. Using the skills I have to create.

Just in case any of our creations actually turn out down the road, we need to be sure to document our ingredients including weights & measures. Just sayin'.

@markowe---wine made from fermented meat---gross. But if you can make it work, you can drink it all. Chili sauce + grape jelly (my secret ingredients for meatball sauce), or canned cranberry jelly + chili sauce (also great in crockpot on little smokies or sliced hot dogs or wings). Condiment wine: ketchup, mustard??

I have warned my husband and 2 boys...they groaned.

Completely agree about documenting measurements, also a few of mine may only be 1Liter containers as we have around 4 of them and not many 2 liters but should still be good :)

Sounds like fun for a beginner. But I will be gone for two weeks. I will have to start on the 27th. I will be watching you all's progress. I have Earl Grey tea on my mind!

So how much yeast for a two liter bottle? Do I have to use a whole package or can I share one pack with a couple bottles?

I'm pretty sure one pack would handle all 7 days but is there gonna be a contamination issue with the pack open for the whole time
The big day is today everyone ready?

Ready! If you open a pack just stash it in an airtight container that was clean and sanitized. I think I will just use a pint jar for a starter container and likely use 1/8th tsp, though I need to measure what actual amount is in a packet.

Yea I just plan on making a starter and throwing it in the fridge to draw from when ready for the brews.

Actually I have a skeeter pee sitting on a yeast cake of Lalvin 71-b. I think I will just draw off of that now that I think about it.

Anyone brew theirs yet? Mine soon like another hour or so.

Malted banana (wine?)
Half cup amber dme
Half a Banana.
Boil dme and banana.
Put in two liter.
Some champagne yeast and very small amount nutrient
(Banana rounds didn't go in two liter.)

ForumRunner_20121007_173530.jpg

With pictures to follow.....

Marshmellow powdered sugar wine!

This stuff should be pure rocket fule when done lol.

Used a Sue Bee 5 pound honey container for the fermenter which should be about 53 fl oz.
8 oz of marshmellows heated in water, when they refused to disolve on medium heat for an hour I put it in a blender and blitzed for a minut and now all disolved. Added 1/3tsp of acid blend to make like an invert sugar from the mix. Once boiled I cooled it and then added powdered sugar.
I was going from the directions on the marshmellow package to estimate the sugar content and how much powdered sugar I would need to add. I added 5 oz of powdered sugar which should not have made the OG any higher than 1.088....... Checked OG and it is 1.112!!!! Pitched part of my starter and we will see how it goes.

For nutrients I am using houshold stuff and decided 1 100mg B6 tablet at the only additions tward nutrients I will make toward these batches.

Arpolis...I actually have marshmallows on my list, so I will skip that adventure.

To start used two cups half dried jujubes, that are pitted and steeped in water with two vanilla tea bags from Harney and Sons. Will use part of a ground vitamin. Using mix of granulated and light brown sugar that has been caramelized along with one cup of chopped jujube, shooting for SG of 1.075 or so. I may add one-half cup of jujubes tomorrow when I pitch yeast. Small cinnamon stick stub in after SG drops by 2/3. Will post photos tomorrow when ready to pitch yeast. BTW, the jujube vanilla tea smells amazing. The partially dried jujubes look like dates and are fabulous on their own....everyone needs to plant a tree or two!

Have fun everyone!

Alright! I just found this but I will catch up. I'll have to do a quick invintory of the weirdo crap I have in the kitchen. I will do a full on prision brew with the help of a former guard guy I know. Bread as the yeast and the filter and all that gross stuff!

Awesome concept!

Swifty

Swifty said:
Alright! I just found this but I will catch up. I'll have to do a quick invintory of the weirdo crap I have in the kitchen. I will do a full on prision brew with the help of a former guard guy I know. Bread as the yeast and the filter and all that gross stuff!

Awesome concept!

Swifty

You'll have to ferment in a ziplock bag for authenticity

You'll have to ferment in a ziplock bag for authenticity

And in a toilet bowl.

.....................................................................................................

Day 2 of 7: Honeysuckle Wine - I remembered I had dried honeysuckle flowers vacuum sealed and stashed in freezer, so using some of them for this. (photo will be updated either later tonight or tomorrow).

Regarding Day 1: Jujube Wine...yeast won't get pitched until after evening meal today, will take photo and update post at that time.

You will have mine soon. Was gonna try to mash cereal but sodium triphosphate is gonna sink that idea.

I thought a cereal mash would be cool. I wonder if a 24 hour rest and plenty of whiping would get the sodium triphosphate to dissipate out just like sodium metabisulphate (Camden tablets).

(-- not a chemistry guy but perhaps triphosphate is more processed and thus harder to break down than biphosphate?

Day two
Jalapeno blueberry pomegranate tea
Sg 1.03
Boiled jalapenos and at knockout added ti cold crash then added a little bit of champagne yeast
Cup corn sugar

ForumRunner_20121008_165343.jpg

Cereal mash...like froot loops? Imagination runneth over.
Also, camera on blitz...mechanical son is repairing. He said he will have fixed in morning.

Back