Yet Another Brewstand build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
I almost hate to post another thread with brew stand build pics but I'm just so dang excited...
It's a single tier based loosely off bobbym's design. 1.5"x16ga. square tube. Chugger Pump. Propane burners from AgriSupply. Fittings from Bargain Fittings. Sightglasses and thermometers from BobbyM. My brother-in-law has been helping me weld it up. We got the last of the frame put together this weekend. Hoping to get the casters, pump and gas plumbing mounted this weekend. Once that happens a wet test will follow. I should be able to brew by the end of September. :rockin:

If anyone has any questions about my process, I'll do my best answer them. I didn't do much photo documentation partly because it has been done so well already but mostly because I'm lazy.

+1 That's looking good already!

Don't be bashful and hold back on the pics of your build. There are at least a few of us out here in the peanut gallery that aspire to building a brew sculpture some day and the more ideas I (we) see the better!

I have probably one of the more precariously arranged setups you'd ever want to see :eek: (and not get too close to!) and a single-tier sculpture is definitely where I want to end up.

So post at will! :) And thanks in advance!

Cheers!

All right guys. It's basically done. All the gas and mounting plate for the pump and the casters. I'm really happy with it. I'm devising a method for attaching a windscreen but it still have to leak test the gas and the fittings on my keggles but I should be brewing on it soon. I've got some High temp silver spray paint that is gonna get applied when I get the time. As always, if you have any questions about my process, just ask. I don't have very good documentation.

Everything looks great! I am about to upgrade the burners on my stand, and wonder if you might be able to help me. Are yours low pressure? How many psi is the regulator? Are you adjusting the flame with tbe yellow valves and shutters only?

The burners are low pressure from Agrisupply (link here) (BTW, Agrisupply has the best price on most burners. If you haven't made your purchase yet, compare them with your other sources). The regulator is off my previous jet burner (link here). I don't know how many PSI it is, I think it actually might be a high pressure regulator but I haven't noticed any issues yet. Very coarse adjustment is possible with the yellow ball valves (think High, low, and off and nothing really in between). If I need adjustment beyond what the ball valves provide, I will open them up all the way and adjust the regulator up or down.

Thanks for the info. I do like the 6" burners. I will be buying a new reg/hose, and will have to do some more research on the best option.

If the 6" burners aren't your speed, their price on banjo burners is pretty good too. I choose those because they were inexpensive and I had seen them in action.

I want to do this but have zero experience with most of the necessary equipment. This is great to read about. Is it possible to build something like this without welding? That's definitely something out of my reach for now. Actually can you guys recommend a good starting point or article on how and where to start with a build like this?

You should check out this. He built his stand out of that galvanized slotted angle. I considered that, but it would have been a bit more expensive and the stand looks a bit flimsy. Everyone who has built one says it's more than strong enough but I just didn't like the look of it. You might also look around and see if a local machine shop will weld it up for a reasonable price.

Bringing this back because I actually learned to weld and made one myself. I'm currently stuck though with mounting my burners. I want to emulate what you have done here, I have the burners, the additional rail to mount them on. But I can't seem to figure out how you mounted the bolt underneath the top of your stand without drilling the whole way through the top. Help please?

My burners have a threaded hole and bolt that came with them. The bolt wasn't long enough but if I remember correctly, it was a 6mm bolt from home depot. I just threaded that through my mounting rail and tightened it down. Not to tight though, for fear of stripping out the cast alluminium. I can post some quick pics if nesscessary.

neumann said:
My burners have a threaded hole and bolt that came with them. The bolt wasn't long enough but if I remember correctly, it was a 6mm bolt from home depot. I just threaded that through my mounting rail and tightened it down. Not to tight though, for fear of stripping out the cast alluminium. I can post some quick pics if nesscessary.

Sorry I meant to ask how you mounted the rail that the burners are mounted to. The bolts that hang down from the main stand. How did you mount them without drilling through the top?

Ahhh sorry. I misunderstood. The rail is has a hole drilled all the way through that I have inserted a piece of all-thread in with a washer and wing but for rough adjustment. That all-thread is welded to the frame.

neumann said:
Ahhh sorry. I misunderstood. The rail is has a hole drilled all the way through that I have inserted a piece of all-thread in with a washer and wing but for rough adjustment. That all-thread is welded to the frame.

What do you think about drilling the mounting hole and then welding in a nut for the bolt? I have a bolt that is stainless but I can't weld stainless with my welder. Or would it make more sense to just go get a different bolt and weld it directly to the stand?

I don't see any problem with that although it would weaken that part of the metal. It might not be an issue but I don't like to take chances when it comes to several gallons of scalding hot water. I would just get another length of all thread. Mine was that zinc plated stuff from home depot. Pretty dang cheap if I remember correctly.

neumann said:
I don't see any problem with that although it would weaken that part of the metal. It might not be an issue but I don't like to take chances when it comes to several gallons of scalding hot water. I would just get another length of all thread. Mine was that zinc plated stuff from home depot. Pretty dang cheap if I remember correctly.

Any rusting issues?

on the frame there is a little bit of surface rust because i didnt do a very good job painting it and i im not very diligent about keeping it clean. there isnt anything on the all thread because it doesnt get really wet.

neumann said:
on the frame there is a little bit of surface rust because i didnt do a very good job painting it and i im not very diligent about keeping it clean. there isnt anything on the all thread because it doesnt get really wet.

What did you use to paint?

Back