Home brewers. Do you name your beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliehart1

Reaction score
My friend and I just bottled our first batch and was wondering if you have a name for your as if it were brew company. And do you name each beer you brew?

I definitely do, especially if I tweak a recipe I am cloning/copying. I also do labels just to give it a special feel. No I am not vane, but just go the extra mile.

Sheldon

Yeah,it's part of the creative process for me. I also gave my little brewing corner a brewery name to put on the labels when I sens some out.

I definitely do, especially if I tweak a recipe I am cloning/copying.

I had debated whether it was tacky to give my own name to a clone recipe I got from the internet. But then I figured, even if I am trying to replicate the recipe exactly, there will be unintentional deviations. And I almost always have to give most recipes a tweak or two, maybe because I subbed one of the hops for a more easily available one, or I scaled the recipe and then rounded to make measurements easier, or I adjusted for ingredients I already had and needed to use up, etc.

Besides, coming up with the names and designing the labels is something my wife and I enjoy doing together. :D

I used to. Now I just call them by style, unless it's a specific house beer. Right now, my kegerator says: oatmeal stout, amber, IPA and hard lemonade on it. No names for the beers themselves.

It varies for me. I'll name some of them for sake of differentiating 2 different beers of the same style. If I'm not feeling creative they just get labeled by style.

I had planned on making labels for each of my beers, but after noticing how much I hate taking labels off I decided against it. I haven't come up with any of my own recipes yet so I have yet to name any of my brews except for by style.

Breck09 said:
I had planned on making labels for each of my beers, but after noticing how much I hate taking labels off I decided against it. I haven't come up with any of my own recipes yet so I have yet to name any of my brews except for by style.

I make labels, but they mostly only go on bottles I'm giving away. I leave the majority plain for exactly that reason.

I keg everything and typically have a catchy name with the style in it...

I do however bottle batches over 8% partly to slow people down, and partly to slow me down so I can age a couple :) When I bottle, I go all out and name/label them. I figure at least a couple of these will make it out of the house, and it's a great way to get people interested in the hobby.

I have not lately. Unless I am sending in for a competition and they ask for a name. or if I am getting fancy with labels to send to someone.

I probably will once I really nail down a particular recipe and plan to brew it over again. But I brew so seldom that it's hard to choose the same recipe over and over.

The only one I have permanently named is Black Betty American Stout.

I name the ones that are not exact clones. In the last 6-8 months most of my beers have characteristics of some of my favorite clones, but no where near clones. The last Lost Dogs IPA is a great example with a grain bill similar to Loose Cannon, but hops schedule creatively based on what I have on hand. Hop forward with Chinook, Cent, Cascade, citra and a little Willamette. I recently bought the Pearl Jam album Top Dogs, which is an awesome album I did not know about and listened to it the whole brew day, thus the name.

Yeah, some of the time. But I recycle names.

Pale Willy - Any Pale Ale with Willamette Hops
ChinOak - An Oaked beer with Chinook Hops
Imperial Black - A black IIPA regardless of the recipe
BeFuggled - Any English style beer with Fuggles hops

. . . the list goes on, but you get the idea.

Been kegging since early 2008, so very few lables.

I've been naming mine. It's just part of the fun.

As far as labels, there was a thread in the label forum where someone was using 3/4 inch circular labels that you can print and adhere them to the bottle cap. Not as good as a traditional label but you don't have to clean them off the bottles. I just tried it for the first time and it worked great. Avery.com even has a label designer application on their site.

Yes, I name it based on style or change I've made as others have mentioned. I too use the clear circular labels for the caps that you can print on. Pretty neat presentation and easy to keep clean bottles.

I've been trying to learn the program from paint.net. It's a replacement for Microsoft paint that has some Photoshop features. Once I learn it,I'll have some really nice labels for beers I send out,or give to folks.:mug:

For the first year or so I named and made labels for every batch. Now I just say, for example, the Pale Ale is on the left and the Wit is on the right.

The only one I have permanently named is Black Betty American Stout.

blarg! now i'll have that song in my head all day.

I almost never name my beers. I have a few house recipes that i need to name, but for the most part, i don't give a trial batch a name.

Yes, I name my beers. Especially if I've tweaked the recipe or made it myself. I don't print labels yet, only because I haven't gotten artwork done for labeling.

I name them, but labeling seems complicated. I am someone who wants things done right, not just done. I figure if the labels look cheesy, then that will lowerr the expectations of the person about to try my beer. Plus, artisticly speaking I suck.

Usually I just name them by their style name and what number I'm on for that type of beer. (i.e. APA #3 or Hefe# 7). For competitions, I just name them the first thing that comes to my head.

Ya i name every brew ive made (or havent made yet) just bottle a wheat ale brewed with argentian cascade that i call "Don't Cry For Wheat Argentina"

Sometimes, it depends. If I come up with a clever name I will use it, otherwise no.

For example, I have an Imperial Red I will be giving out when our baby arrives, I call it Big Baby Red.

Also, I will be brewing an 8.5% Belgian IPA this Sunday, going to call it Stupid Flanders IPA.

blarg! now i'll have that song in my head all day.

I almost never name my beers. I have a few house recipes that i need to name, but for the most part, i don't give a trial batch a name.

She really gets me high (bam-BA-lam)
You know that's no lie (bam-BA-lam)
She's so rock steady (bam-BA-lam)
She's always ready (bam-BA-lam)

Sing along! :mug:

I name some of them. If there is a special occasion or someone that I want to honor. My last beer was "Armywives Porter" for my daughter and the one I just bottled was "DOMinator Stout" in honor of my son-in-law who is an officer in Iraq.

NRS

she's from birmin'ham (bam Ba lam)
way down in Alabam (bam Ba lam)

Whooaa Black Betty (bam Ba lam)

Like fishhy, I keg - but when I bottle, I go all out with nice labels, catchy names...

since SWMBO enjoys and participates in the brews and likes naming them, all of our brews are named - and the name may even be modified to fit the results.

Like O'Rally Red has become Rally Mud (since it's more brown - still working on getting it amber. . . and because it's quite cloudy - tastes great, but cloudy)

I have a brewery name, as a lot of people do. I also name every recipe. I haven't made too many labels since I've been kegging almost everything, but I still do from time to time since its fun.

I did the first year. Now I just name them according to ingredients & style (ie. Columbus Pale Ale)

I've named every batch I've done (all have been my own recipes). I didn't even mark the first batch at all (but it was the only brew I had on hand until it was gone). Starting with the second batch, I started having more than one batch ready to drink, so I started scrawling something abbreviated on the cap with a marker. After 3 or 4 of those batches I started actually making and printing labels for them all. Takes some extra time, but it's part of the fun.

Some names I've used so far: Provisional IRA (Irish Red Ale), Probably an IPA (IIPA), Noble Monkey (Belgian Quad), Weissass (Hefeweizen)

I name the recipes I brew regularly (Pale Ale, Stout, IPA, yada yada yada) but the one-off brews I usually don't.

I have:
Pasty American Pale Ale
Hoppy Ending IPA
Apathy IIPA
Couch Crasher Imperial Stout (name came to me after waking up on the couch after repeated sampling)
Gateway IPA (English IPA that people that "don't like IPA's" end up liking)

Some I name.

Examples.

A Belgian that I fermented on my third floor because ut was warmer up there. The fermentation went crazy for 3 weeks.... Name: Crazy Belgian in the Attic

Another one that was brewed on April 1st. Name: Fool Pale Ale

An amber that I have brewed a few times without a name was brewed on the day of the Super Moon. Name:.... Super Moon Amber Ale.

A Black IPA I just brewed is .... Lights Out Dark Ale.

But most brews are Just IPA #3 or Amber # 4

Names are fun for certain beers.When I do name them I design a label.

Back