Post-party beer collection pic!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7Enigma

Reaction score
I had a party last night for no good reason, and asked people in lieu of bringing food/etc. to bring random beers. I've done this before and really enjoyed getting to try beers I've never heard of. Well things got a bit out of hand. Most people didn't just bring 6-packs as I had expected, they were bringing coolers, full cases, etc. We originally had a large cooler and a separate planters pot, but that lasted all of 30min before we had to find something else. To the rescue came my daughter's kiddie pool. We had so much beer I couldn't even put everything on ice.

So this pic is from TODAY, after we drank cases worth of beer. I think there are about 20 different brews at least (none homebrew), and most I've never had before (except for the Victory brands). I think I might have to have a party to drink the beer left over from this party!

There are about 4-5 different Hefe's that are apparently pretty good. I'm thinking (since for at least 2 of them I have multiples) I can use the yeast for a starter culture for a clone of the particular brand. One is Paulaner (apparently a very good German beer), the other is Bell's Oberon, a very good hefe I had a few of last night.

:tank:

pool.jpg

Awesome...set up a lawn chair, pounding through them, and in the end, you'll have enough room to take a little dip. Trust me, you'll need it :)

WHAT ********* BROUGHT THE MILLER LITE?

a
;)

That would be ME. :) After my first party like this I had endless amounts of crap. Literally every other person brought a Bud/Coors/Miller product. So now in my emails I specify I'll have a case of Miller Light and a case of Yeungling lager so people will not bring them, or feel bad if they actually like to drink them.

It's funny, I spent about 25min today cleaning bottles for my next batch of brew and was so disappointed when I realized that the Miller Light bottles (someone did bring some even though I had a case of cans) were twist offs!

If I have time today I'll line them all up (the different varieties) and snap another pic. There really are probably 20 different brews I've never heard of. And yes, over 100, as my back can attest to carrying them to the basement after drying off.

It's...it's so beautiful. I wouldn't even know where to start...

I bet when that pool was full, that was to beer what the Grand Canyon is to majestic views.

I see 6 dead guy ales in there. Does that mean that nobody drank one? For shame!

I know of at least 3 people that had them so either they came in 2 six's or part of a cooler. I broke down all the full cases so I know it wasn't from there...take heart, some were drunk. I may just have one this evening. :)

the thermal shock doesn't kill the yeast ?

Probably doesn't help them, but since they never got to freezing and the cool down was relatively slow I'm sure there's still some viable yeast in there. They should all be more or less dormant also so that should help keep them viable.

uh oh I think I see some michelob in there also

Could be worse though........if it was my friends most of them would've brought miller high life....dang drunks...

That is beautiful. The Miller Lite doesn't even bother me. You can use it to refill the pool as necessary...:cross:

You're lucky to have friends who (a) have good taste in beer and (b) apparently don't drink very much?

And BTW, Oberon is an American wheat beer, not a hefeweizen. Doesn't change the fact that it's good, and you're lucky to have more :mug:

always up for a trade!...we have yueng out the ying yang

Agreed, I'm not even a fan of it. It's just so normal, I need something with a WOW factor (stout fan).

Big10Seaner said:
I just want the Oberon- can't get it in Illinois!
The Oberon was very good (never heard of it before the party). I have quite a bit left (my friend brought a case) and I've thought of harvesting the yeast for a clone.

There are about 4-5 different Hefe's that are apparently pretty good. I'm thinking (since for at least 2 of them I have multiples) I can use the yeast for a starter culture for a clone of the particular brand. One is Paulaner (apparently a very good German beer),

Actually, German Hefe's are first fermented with Hefeweizen yeast, then filtered and then bottled with more wort and some Lager yeast (kreuzening)for the 3 week conditioning process. The yeast you collect won't be what you are expecting. You are better off just buying some Wyeast 3068 and propagating that to a bunch of bottles.

I can tell by the pool and the little pink wheels that this was a kids party...

"Sorry honey, daddy has to borrow your play pool for the night."

So what did you do? Invite everybody over and then have the cops cruise by half an hour later to tell them to go home?

I can tell by the pool and the little pink wheels that this was a kids party...

"Sorry honey, daddy has to borrow your play pool for the night."

So what did you do? Invite everybody over and then have the cops cruise by half an hour later to tell them to go home?

This pool was actually the neighbors. About an hour in, when people kept bringing more and more beer, I almost had to get our kiddie pool out (its about twice the size of this one). That one has a slide, and I could just see the pictures of my daughter sliding into the ice-filled pool of beer. I'm sure child services would have had a field day with that picture....

The craziest thing is my daughter (who will turn 2 in June) refused to go to sleep while the party was going on. I tried to put her down but she just cried until I brought her back down to the festivities. She made it all the way until 3am (when the last person left), and then promptly fell asleep even before I carried her up the stairs. I think my little one is a partier. ;)

Nice idea for a party. Although if I had been there the Boddington's would not have been left over.

I'm just starting out and this would probably be a great way to get some bottles...

Nice idea for a party. Although if I had been there the Boddington's would not have been left over.

I'm just starting out and this would probably be a great way to get some bottles...

Funny you mention the Boddington's. Someone brought a 4 pack, and I had 1 during the party. I was just as shocked as you the next day when there were 3 still left over. I had another one a couple days ago, and still have 2 left for when I'm in the mood. :)

And yes, more bottles than I can fill for a while.

At around $8 for a 4 pack, I have really good taste, lol.

That's part of the reason I'm getting into homebrew. Surely I can brew beer cheaper than that.

I need to swap my friends for yours, I invite them over for a Beer / Washers / BBQ and ask them to bring a more unique beer. They shun their normal Bud Light and bring Select....:confused:

It sucks I know 1 person that will venture out of BMC, I feel so alone. :cross:

Back