Your one and only beer glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clone63

Reaction score
Am working on moving and realized I don't have much barware.

Then realized I'm poor.

So I have to pick just a few basics to cover anything I drink.

So I'm asking: If you could pick only 1 style of glass to drink everything out of, what would it be?

Mine:
Imperial-Pokal-Beer-Glass-2.jpg

I use a pint sized widemouth ball jar. Its a little bit country, but they are cheap, durable, and come in 12 packs for about $8. If someone breaks one on accident...meh

Someday I want to get some nonik glasses. I like the bubble shape around the top.

Standard pub pint glass for me.

I use a couple of others pretty regularly, but this would be the "one and only" if I had to pick just one.

Have to go with british pint glass. Love the shape. Cant stand american regular pint glasses.
A-pint-of-bitter-in-a-non-007.jpg

However I try and drink styles in their appropriate glasses. If I were you I would go to target and get a set of Libbey drinking glasses. They have this set
http://retail.libbey.com/Products/Beverageware/Craft-Brews-6pc-Set
and another that has 4 popular styles with 4 glasses for each style.

Have to go with british pint glass. Love the shape. Cant stand american regular pint glasses.

However I try and drink styles in their appropriate glasses. If I were you I would go to target and get a set of Libbey drinking glasses. They have this set
http://retail.libbey.com/Products/Beverageware/Craft-Brews-6pc-Set
and another that has 4 popular styles with 4 glasses for each style.
I love the English Nonics, and I have both pint and half pint varieties, but I don't know if I'd want to use them for all of my drinking needs.

I love the English Nonics, and I have both pint and half pint varieties, but I don't know if I'd want to use them for all of my drinking needs.

Yeah I dont even have any haha. OP asked though if we could only have one. My go to is probably a Sam Adams
perfectpint.jpg

Or a New Belgium for IPAs
newbelgium.jpg

I use a nonic for the majority of styles, but I've got to have a snifter/tulip for the more complex stuff.

Another vote for the nonic. One Imperial pint (just under 20oz), so I can pour a 16oz or 500ml bottle and have room for the head. Pour a full pint into an American pint glass and it'll be right up to the rim--if there's no head.

Have to go with British pint glass. Love the shape. Cant stand american regular pint glasses.
\

Same here. I drink all of my brew from one of thou's. In fact I think it's time I filled one with some Firestone Walker Double Jack

I really dont like american pint glasses. Heavy and dont do anything for flavor. Only reason bars/breweries use them is because they are cheap and stack easily.

Anyone used DFH/Sierra Nevada's new glass?

This is my only beer glass. Notice the chip on the rim? Yeah I have to be careful, I've had it a long time. I'll probably cry when it breaks. Hahah

IMAG0422.jpg

Have too many to have a fav but if it came down to it it would be the duvel glass for sure!!

image-443079373.jpg

Dont know why I like them so much but my brother has two of these. They are light and fit 16 ozs. Definitely a big fan. Need to acquire a couple.
Glass_Pint_Can.jpg

Duvel tulip glass, Both American and British pint glasses.

I'd say I go to the Duvel glass most often. My favorite thing about drinking beer, is actually the beer that goes into the glass... not so much the glass I'm drinking out of.

smccarter said:
Duvel tulip glass, Both American and British pint glasses.

I'd say I go to the Duvel glass most often. My favorite thing about drinking beer, is actually the beer that goes into the glass... not so much the glass I'm drinking out of.

Agreed but shape of the glass does have quite a bit of an affect on taste, mainly smell. Smell is like 25-40% of taste so glass that concentrate that like tulips are beneficial when drinking aromatic beers like IPAs. There's quite a bit of science involved in glass design. Regular American pint glasses allow a lot of that smell to dissipate.

Ever drank an IPA out of a can versus a glass. Different experiences.

Have too many to have a fav but if it came down to it it would be the duvel glass for sure!!

I usually just use a standard pint or tulip pint glass for session beers, but I have something really nice that I want to savor, the Duvel glass is my go-to as well.

I have a bunch of glasses: tulips, British pint, American pint, goblets, stout glasses, even a Sam Adams I picked up on Friday. I like the SA one, though I'm not sure I would call it "the perfect pint." If I had to pick one I would probably go with a tulip glass. It's a great all purpose glass, though the wideness makes some styles look darker than they should be.

Yeah, I have one of the Sierra Nevada ones. Really nice drinking glass, but so damn thin, I know I'm going to break it soon.

I avoid it specifically because it feels like I'm going to break it if I look at it wrong. I have a Firestone Walker nonic that has laser etching on the bottom and honestly I don't think the SN/DFH provides that much more aroma. It definitely keeps its head forever though. Not worth the price or having to treat it so delicately.

If I could only pick one, I'd have to go with the tulip glass. I love to get my nose as close to the beer as possible when I take a sip, and the shape of the glass lets you enjoy the aroma oh so well.
If you're hard up, you can always grab some glassware from the dollar store. The glass might be a little thin, but until you can afford some nice thick beer glasses it will at least let you enjoy different styles of beer from the right kind of glass.

I had one of these and found it was my favorite glass for almost all of my beers. Nothing fancy but for some reason I really liked it, until I broke it. Need to find another, I guess...

stemmedbeer.jpg

A Samuel Smith pint glass is my normal use, for Belgians a Chimay goblet I just got a bit ago. Have gotten foam in my nose from trying to smell too deeply only a couple of times...

Back