How to clone 'Pretty Things: Our Finest Regards' - Barleywine Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evrk

Reaction score
I'm really into the pretty things barleywine but am not sure where to start in the cloning process.

On the pretty things site (http://www.prettythingsbeertoday.com/wp/our-beers/our-finest-regards/) it says it let's the barley flavor stand out and includes this info:

Beer Style: Seasonal, malty Barleywine 2012
Hop Variety: there’s hops in here?
Malt Variety: Thomas Fawcett & Sons, Yorkshire
OG: 29 Plato
ABV: 12.1%

Anyone had it? Ideas about how to recreate it?

Apparently it's double mashed which sounds fun :)

Anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to experiment with it, but I'm not very good at feeling out what to start with.

There's an old technique where you use the wort of one beer as the strike liquid for the next mash. Probably what they mean by double mashing.

I'd get the best English marris otter you can, throw in a small amount of English hops like challenger, tradition or ekg, and boil for as long as you can. Maybe 120 minutes. Never had it so I can't comment on yeast, but I'd go maybe wlp007 Dry English and ferment cool.

I personally think this beer is one of the worst I've had from them - we split a bomber between 5 people and barely finished it...

That being said - I get an interesting tobacco/earthy flavor from this beer. When I get that I think fuggles - My guess is that they us it to either bitter or have some sort of mid-boil addition - there isn't much aroma coming from it, but it's there.

OG: 1.129
FG: 1.034

All Marris Otter malt - I'd probably bitter to 50-60 IBU and let this baby sit for a while.

Allagash used the aformentioned technique - mashing in with the boil from a previous beer for one of their company competitions. The guide that told me about it mentioned that they had a lot of stuck sparge issues. You might want to load up on rice hulls.

Have you tried shooting an email to Dann at Pretty Things? I've run into him a couple of times at bottle shops around Cambridge and Somerville and he's always been very forthright and helpful with answering some random question I had.

As with the previous comments, go find TF's Maris Otter and mash the heck out of it, then do it again, as foretold. Get it up to stinkin' high gravity, and then boil it for a loooong time. If you haven't read Shut Up About Barclay Perkins, go read it. It's not only a fascinating and enlightening history of British beer, it's chock-a-block filled with practical info on the processes used in the production of really high quality ales. Unfortunately, this will be a beer where the process will matter a great deal, as is the case with many UK / UK-style ales, so shoot an email and see what they'll tell you. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's a 120 min boil though.

Back