Auto Siphon and bottle wand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbermat

Reaction score
I was bought a 23 litre auto siphon for christmas.

I'm quickly approaching the bottling stage and realised that I have no way of stopping the auto siphon from flowing unless I either lift it out of the wort, or raise the bottle to stop the flow.

I've had a look for bottle wands but I think the tube is too wide to accommodate any I've seen.

Does anyone else use an auto siphon for bottling?

If so what method do you use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the past I used one. I had the 3/8" auto siphon. I forget the tubing that was on it, but if you heated it up (with hot tap water), you could work it over the end of the bottle wand and it was no problem.

You don't have a bottling bucket? You can make one very cheap with a food grade bucket and spigot. If you're dead set on using the siphon to bottle, your LHBS should have clips that will go on the hose and cut off flow. Or there's another clip that will hold your siphon in place while you handle the wand.

In the past I used one. I had the 3/8" auto siphon. I forget the tubing that was on it, but if you heated it up (with hot tap water), you could work it over the end of the bottle wand and it was no problem.

problem is the tube size is 9/16" and so the wand would just rattle around

problem is the tube size is 9/16" and so the wand would just rattle around

Is that ID? I have 3/8" ID tubing. You had to get it plenty hot to get it up and onto the auto siphon. Then the bottling wand OD is the same as the OD of the auto siphon. Had to get that plenty hot too in order to slip it on.

Is that ID? I have 3/8" ID tubing. You had to get it plenty hot to get it up and onto the auto siphon. Then the bottling wand OD is the same as the OD of the auto siphon. Had to get that plenty hot too in order to slip it on.

the tubing states that it is 7/16 x 9/16 if that helps?

the tubing states that it is 7/16 x 9/16 if that helps?

so that's 7/16 ID, which is larger than 3/8. Go find some tubing that is 3/8 ID. That will be much more snug. Shouldn't be much more than a buck or two a foot. Only need 3-4 feet.

I use an auto-siphon and a bottling wand to bottle. I have a bottling bucket but I prefer my setup. My tubing is 1/4" ID and it fits over the racking cane and the wand. Your siphon must be much bigger than mine if you can't fit 3/8" on it without it being tight.

Wait. Did that sound sexual?

Thanks for your replies people. dfess1 I shall give that a go!

Cathedral, yes that did sound sexual but it made me sound impressive :p

Thanks again!

Back