Ebay PID wiring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain

Reaction score
Just got my PID/SSR combo from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280879156946?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Might be me (probably) but I'm having trouble reading the Engrish translated instructions.
I searched, but it seams the PID diagrams I've found have a different pin-out than this one. Hoping somebody else knows this unit.
The thermo sensor is a PT100 (three-wire) which has two green, and a red wire.
Looking at the pin-out below, should I hook the two green wires to #12 and #13 and the red to #11? Does #10 and #11 need a jumper?
Do both "hot" leads of my 240vac go to #1 and #2?
I understand both legs of the 240vac should be switched before the element in the LT. Can I use a second SSR and power them both from the #7 and #8 signal? Thanks a bunch!

CIMG2355_zps6aa7d22b.jpg

I use the TA4 version of this PID controller for my HLT and mash kettles (although the mash doesn't use the output).

The PT100 hooks up the two same color wires to the B pins #12 and #13 and the odd colored wire to the A pins #10 and #11. I use a jumper between 10 and 11 but I'm not sure if it is necessary as when I hooked up at TD4, it worked without the jumper. Before I knew which wire was A and which was B, I hooked them up wrong, which just gave no output. PT100s are just simple resistors so there's no damage from hooking them up wrong as long as long as you don't hook them up to high voltage AC.

The power input I used one leg of neutral and hot to pins #1 and #2 for 110V operation.

I don't know about the 2 SSRs from one output but electrical code says you only have to switch one leg for use in temperature control applications. For safety though, I use a relay to be able to have a switch that turns off both legs (after the SSR). From what I hear, a "contactor" is a smaller, cheaper way to do that because my relays dominate the interior of my panel and were $35 each.

Back