double check me for wiring my brewshed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Building a brewshed and want to run electric to it. I do not use an electric brewery and have no plans to. Electric will be for lighting, fermentation chambers, pumps, general stuff like that. This is my main box outside.
CE5AE0AF-755E-4728-820C-D06FE1A14B00-25778-0000199A9BC17FDD.jpg

I plan on running a 2 pole 30A and either UF wire or THWN in conduit (price will probably be the deciding factor). I know i need at least 10 gauge, but if it isnt too much more i may run 8 in case my needs increase in the future. Once at the shed Ill have a subpanel with a 30 amp breaker. Now if i understand it correctly I can't bind the white with the green in the subpanel. I should run 2 ground rods 6 feet apart and run 1 continous bare copper to establish a new ground. Of course the wire will buried to the established depth depending on if I go with conduit or direct bury. Sound about right? any glaring issues?

Good start.....

What do you have the floor sitting on? Do you have to worry about frost heavs much up there?

did it the same as my other shed and deck. Dig down and gravel an area for solid concrete blocks, then the 4x4 skids sit on the concrete. My other shed has been there 12 yrs no problems, deck has been that way for 5 yrs now. This is the way most sheds are done up here.

can anyone confirm my electric plan? And what i should consider in deciding between single strand/conduit and uf wire. It will be a run total of about 40', but i do have 2 90 degree bends along the way. That is also making me think the uf is the way to go.

I would go with conduit, if you ever need to up-grade the service in the shed it is wicked easy to pull new wires in the conduit.

anyone else? still want to make sure im good on the ground rod situation.
If you pull 4 wire cable (240V + Neutral + Ground) you do not need to place ground rods.

If you pull 3 wire cable then you do need to establish ground in your building. It is new construction and must comply with current NEC. Be sure to pull a permit.

P-J

Nec 250.32(A). says yes, you need a gec. I suggest you google search something like "ground rod at detached". The ways the other responses have told you to do it will work, but if you want to do it right up to the latest code contact someone locally. Because nearly every jurisdiction has their interpretation of how they want you to handle these things.

Back