Dogfish head 90 minute ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrymanback92

Reaction score
So being in San Francisco we're pretty far from DFH. Last night my girlfriend and I picked up a 4-pack of this beer after I had been telling her about their 120 minute IPA(which i have not had but read about)I gotta say though, this beer is not at all an IPA; which has me thinking, maybe my beer was improperly stored, or is old so it lost its bitterness. There's virtually no hop aroma, hardly any hop flavor and a smooth bitterness. It taste more like 45 IBU and not the advertised 90.

Is the beer just sweeter than my west coast IPA's or is this beer just not really an IPA?

For the record, I think the beer I'm drinking is good, but I would never call it an IPA.

Hops tend to fade away over time, especially with the sweetness of the 90 minute. Perhaps yours was just a bit more aged?

I drank it at 55.

I suspect it's due to aging/ traveling across the country. Which makes me curious to try one.

Based on this experience I gotta say DFH is over rated.

90 minute is not that bitter, particularly if you're comparing it to west coast style IPAs. I tried it again recently after not having had it in a long time (and going crazy for super hoppy IPAs in the meantime) and was seriously let down by how tame it was.

not that bitter
no hop aroma

Those West Coast beers must be doing a number on your palettes out there. Having had Dogfish quite a bit, I wouldn't really classify the ipa's as tame. Personally I prefer the 60 minute. I guess-like my Hip Hop-I'll stick to the East Coast. Actually that's not true, you guys have a sick beer scene out there and I'm just jealous, but cut Dogfish some slack, they make some pretty interesting beers. Not a fan of all of them, but they make some killer brews.

I've never had any other DFH brew. I respect them, they seem to have a dedicated fan base and seem to have a command over spiced/fruit beer. But let's put this in perspective; I drink Pliny The Elder about 4 times a month, simply due to accessibility and it's 5 bucks a 16oz. That's an amazing IPA. There's better IPA's but when I see 9% abv and 90 IBU that's what I expect. This 90 minute isn't even close to an English IPA. There's literally nothing about it that says "IPA" to me.But it's drinkable and the malt is awesome.

I'd totally get into a DFH ESB if they make one.

I'm sure they make great beers but their IPA is a flop.

Could someone on the East Coast comment on it being Hoppier over there?

I can't source it locally either. I had someone drive me 60, 90, and 120 minute across the country. Only tried the 60 and 90. 60 was a great not too hoppy IPA. 90 was mostly malty, but unique and good. Not a hop bomb to be sure. I haven't cracked any 120 yet.

It's plenty hoppy for me here in Chicago. But I'm not an IBU-aholic. I love this beer...very versatile; great for sipping slow, but also refreshing on a hot summer day.

Dogfish head is way overrated
Thank you for your contribution.

I'd call 90 Minute an American Barleywine before I called it an IPA. I think a fresh SN Bigfoot may be hoppier than it. If I want an IPA from DFH, I'll be drinking their 60 Minute (have yet to try the 75, would like to though).

The 90 minute is pretty hoppy, but it's definitely not as aggressively hoppy as something like Stone Ruination or Green Flash's stuff. Then again, I prefer Founder's Centennial IPA over Stone, because the Centennial has a bit more malt balance. Then again, I just brewed a Double IPA with pilsner base, .5lbs of c40, and 2lbs of corn sugar + 11 ounces of hops in the boil (amarillo, centennial, and northern brewer) + 5 more ounces of hops that I'll be dry hopping with. We'll see how I like it, as it's the first time I've brewed the recipe.

I'd call 90 Minute an American Barleywine before I called it an IPA. I think a fresh SN Bigfoot may be hoppier than it. If I want an IPA from DFH, I'll be drinking their 60 Minute (have yet to try the 75, would like to though).

That's a pretty good characterization, actually. 60 minute tastes like a malt-forward IPA. 90 minute is a big beer closer to a barleywine in characteristics than an imperial IPA. I also think there may be a huge difference between fresh DFH on the east coast and the stuff that makes its way over here.

To me, 90 minute represents what a balanced IPA should taste like. Don't get me wrong, I love those lop-sided West coast IPA's too.

90 min is a great 'gateway DIPA', I used to love it. I'd probably still buy the **** out of it if DFH would distribute in Canada again.

The 90 minute is weird to me. It's very malty, and the way they do their hop additions makes it bitter, but not really bitter, and hoppy, but not really hoppy. I do agree that its almost a barleywine.

I dont buy into the whole "well balanced" IPA montra. The hops are supposed to shine in an IPA. Likewise, you would have a "well balanced" stout where you can clearly define the hops, would you? You're not supposed to be able to detect much if any hop profile in a stout; the malts are supposed to shine. "Well balanced" is overrated marketing. Just one man's opinion.

^^ This is exactly what I'm saying. The 90 minute is a good beer, but it's not a Double IPA, which is how it's advertised. Not everything needs to be Pliny but I don't feel like this beer is truly a DIPA.

It'd be a balanced IPA if there was actually a hop profile to be had.

And dont get me wrong, there's no one way to do an IPA or DIPA, I just like to be able to smell and taste the hops above the malt.

As said above, 90 Min IPA is not a super hoppy beer actually. The malt is the main backbone for the alchohol and taste. The hops just smooth it out, and provide an IPA-ish taste.

Also, it sounds like you got an old 4 pack. I let a 4 pack sit around for a year, and it tastes nothing like an IPA anymore.

Most DIPAs are on the sweeter side IMO. Theres a few exceptions out there but not a ton.

Also, I love 90 minute, but can't get into Pliney. Don't get me wrong, I love hops, and a lot of them. Pliney is just...meh to me.

^^ This is exactly what I'm saying. The 90 minute is a good beer, but it's not a Double IPA, which is how it's advertised. Not everything needs to be Pliny but I don't feel like this beer is truly a DIPA.

It'd be a balanced IPA if there was actually a hop profile to be had.

I think, as other's have said, you're just getting an older 4-pack. I've had bottles and draft. There's definitely a hop profile up here in VT.

And here on the East Coast, I've had bottled Pliny that doesn't nearly stand up to a kegged DFH90. Blasphemy, I'm sure, but it's not really a "West Coast style IPA." Unfortunately, IPA's are becoming judged on that kind of a standard, even in homebrew competitions, and it does a disservice to otherwise well-brewed IPAs/DIPAs that actually fit the category style.

I think traveling across the country takes its toll on this beer. I'm not a huge dfh fan but I LOVE the 90. It is not quite as dry as a lot of ipas but it definitely has the hops to match the malt. I can see calling it a barleywine though. But yeah I think the OP's was a little old/mishandled.

I think there's a reason Russian River ships cold and requires retailers to store their IPAs cold. I think the DFH stuff we're getting on the west coast doesn't compare to what's available fresh. Unfortunately there's no way to test this as I'm not planning on being on that side of the country anytime soon.

I've experienced the same thing with Sierra Nevada PA, had one at LAX last year and it was sooooo much better and fresher than what I can get here in VA. Luckily SN is building a brewery in NC so we should be able to get the freshy here soon!

I think the correlation of the minutes with regard to hopping is pure marketing novelty and that the real meaning behind the 60, 90, 120 correlates to how long it takes to choke these things down.

I think the correlation of the minutes with regard to hopping is pure marketing novelty and that the real meaning behind the 60, 90, 120 correlates to how long it takes to choke these things down.

To each their own. I love 90 Minute. 60 minute on the other hand I do not, and 120 minute....is a novelty beer that has its place as a 20% "IPA"

If you're anywhere near a yardhouse, it looks like most of the California locations have it on tap. Might try there during happy hour for a fresher taste.

Sounds like you've never really tried dry hopping, much less the actual DFH versions. Their IPAs have a very distinct hop flavor unlike any other beers, and it's clearly due to the method they hop.

I just finished making a 60 min clone, and it turned out very similar to the real deal, and that distinct hop flavor once again came through.

Kaleco said:
If you're anywhere near a yardhouse, it looks like most of the California locations have it on tap. Might try there during happy hour for a fresher taste.

Wasn't very fresh at the Pasadena location.

Sounds like you've never really tried dry hopping, much less the actual DFH versions.

Orly? And you derive this much from my commentary?

I see, it's good to you so I obviously don't understand brewing nor have actually tried the product.

Interesting.

Hmm, maybe you are right, does DFH make Hopped Malt Terriyaki too? Maybe that is what I keep getting.

Orly? And you derive this much from my commentary?

I see, it's good to you so I obviously don't understand brewing nor have actually tried the product.

Interesting.

Hmm, maybe you are right, does DFH make Hopped Malt Terriyaki too? Maybe that is what I keep getting.

I'm basing this off the fact that 99% of people who try either the 60 or the 90 notice the unique hop flavor in it. It's nothing personal against you. Sorry, as I did come off a bit of an ass.

DFH prides themselves on being unique and different for ALL of their beers, the IPAs included. That's why you get these crazed people who go nuts over DFH beers.

I'm basing this off the fact that 99% of people who try either the 60 or the 90 notice the unique hop flavor in it. It's nothing personal against you.

DFH prides themselves on being unique and different for ALL of their beers, the IPAs included. That's why you get these crazed people who go nuts over DFH beers.

Yeah, they have hop flavor. It's everything behind it that muddies it all up. Thick and average carbonation. Nothing is in balance, nothing complements.

I've no personal agenda against DFH. While I am not a fan in general of the rest of their lineup, I am also not as disgusted by then as I am with the minutes series.

PSM is a fine product that I rather enjoy. Much of the rest are novelty and, IMO, poorly produced.

(have yet to try the 75, would like to though)
I think all "75 Minute IPA" is, is just mixing equal parts 60 Min and 90 Min. Last year I bought some of each and found the 90 too sweet and cloying, so I just made my own 75s and really liked that best!

Compared to West Coast hop-bombs...90 Minute is fairly tame hops-wise. I just tried SN "Hoptimum", 100 IBUs, 10.4% ABV...it had killer hop aroma and flavor, on the sweet side, but not nearly as sweet as DFH 90 IMO.

I think all "75 Minute IPA" is, is just mixing equal parts 60 Min and 90 Min. Last year I bought some of each and found the 90 too sweet and cloying, so I just made my own 75s and really liked that best!

Compared to West Coast hop-bombs...90 Minute is fairly tame hops-wise. I just tried SN "Hoptimum", 100 IBUs, 10.4% ABV...it had killer hop aroma and flavor, on the sweet side, but not nearly as sweet as DFH 90 IMO.

Well durn, I would've thought that since it's DFH they'd have at least figured out something to deviate from the rather exponential curve headed straight to failure that is their IPA series.

Back