Mississippi Beer Laws

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmurray

Reaction score
Going on right now!

SB2878 and HB1422 each passed their committee votes this morning. HB1422 will now go to the floor for a vote by the entire House of Representatives, SB2878 has to pass the Tourism Committee before making it to the Senate floor. No idea at this point when this will happen. Still working the homebrewing bill, SB2307.

Everyone Keep your fingers crossed! Mississippi might move slightly away from our archaic beer laws!

Confidence is pretty high right now!

Lets hope the Homebrew laws follow!

I was not familiar with the MS beer law banning home brewing. I'm guessing it isn't actively enforced anyways, right? It would be an awesome opportunity to open a homebrewing shop if it is passed...good luck!

VA SB-604 will allow breweries to sell pints similar to pubs/taverns. It's being read on the floor today and in all likelihood will pass. http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?121+ful+SB604

We have the 3-tier distribution which is a little annoying, but I'm hoping it will be revised so breweries can self- distribute if they desire to up to 10,000 bbls annually.

Some say Homebrewing is illegal in Mississippi, some (myself included) say it is NOT illegal. While there is no law prohibiting homebrewing, there is also no law declaring is legal like home wine making. That is what is unnerving to some. There is also some ambiguous wording in the penalty section of the current alcohol laws the reference "Malt Beverages".

So I had a friend who is an attorney take a look and he told me that there can not be a "Penalty" for something that has not been defined as illegal. He told me to brew on and if anyone gave me crap he'd defend me in a second!

None the less... something specific covering our butts would be nice! Not to mention the homebrew bills proposed would also protect and allow for transport for festivals, competitions and homebrew meetings. So again... It would be nice to have the extra protection.

The Commercial beer bills only raise the ABW from 5% to 8% (which is 10.2%ABV) which is a step in the right direction but not a stopping point! ABI said they would fight all the way anything above 8%ABW... so first step we're taking what we can get with hopes it will open legislators eyes to it's financial advantages!

Your state is like mine (NY) it's legal by omission. Since there is no state law declaring it legal or illegal, you then refer to federal law, which states it is legal.

@Daybis, Holy Crap! Someone else from Mississippi! I was starting to think I was the only person in MS that is interested in home brewing :(

@Daybis, Holy Crap! Someone else from Mississippi! I was starting to think I was the only person in MS that is interested in home brewing :(

There are more brewers in MS than you would think. Since you are in Brandon, I would recommend that you check out the homebrew club HBAMM. Pretty cool group of guys.

Thanks for the information guys and I will. Daybis your not to far from where I grew up, Louisville. About 25 minutes from the lovely Starkvegas.

Yeah, HBAMM is a great club and growing!

Daybis, have you checked out Golden Triangle in your area? http://www.gtrbrewers.org/ Good group of guys there too! They've been around for just over a year I believe!

I am very familure with GTRB. I'm one of the founding members. We haven't even been around a year yet. I think we were offical with AHA sometime last september.

Thanks for the information guys and I will. Daybis your not to far from where I grew up, Louisville. About 25 minutes from the lovely Starkvegas.

I know where Lousiville is. I've only been there once. My wife applied for a teaching job out that way.

Mississippi Beer Bill made it out of Congress yesterday and on it's way to the Governors desk!

1 more step and we can celebrate!

Back