My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
camiller - you sure that that motor has the sand to even crush grain? I wouldn't imagine that a wiper motor has that much torque.

Working Torque - 3.98 foot pounds (5.4 N m) - seems to be cutting it pretty close. You probably won't be able to start the mill up with grain in it, at a minimum.

I didn't notice (or don't remember) a plastic bushing on my victoria - will have to check.

Never used a gear motor before, any help with me picking a proper setup? Based on a quick google they seem ridiculously $$

I put a bar type torque wrench on my mill to try to estimate the amount of torque required to turn it and I think I will be OK. I think the Static Torque of 13.27 foot pounds will be enough to get it going from a stop, and once it is going the ~4 should keep it going. There is another wiper motor corona thread around here (found it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/windshield-wiper-motor-powered-grain-mill-164285/ ) but it did use a significantly beefier wiper motor from a semi truck. At any rate, I'm going to give it a try, $16 isn't too much for an experiment.

If you are looking for a better gear motor keep an eye on the surplus sites like http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=electric&keyword=GIAR

I put a bar type torque wrench on my mill to try to estimate the amount of torque required to turn it and I think I will be OK. I think the Static Torque of 13.27 foot pounds will be enough to get it going from a stop, and once it is going the ~4 should keep it going. There is another wiper motor corona thread around here (found it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/windshield-wiper-motor-powered-grain-mill-164285/ ) but it did use a significantly beefier wiper motor from a semi truck. At any rate, I'm going to give it a try, $16 isn't too much for an experiment.

If you are looking for a better gear motor keep an eye on the surplus sites like Surplus Center

Man that is SLOW (the youtube video of the wiper blade he posted)! No offense, but I would rather stick to my drill than use the setup of the semi wiper blade motor.

Wouldn't it be the 13.27ft.lbs of torque starting the mill up or at least somewhere between that and the 3.98 when you first start it?

That said, there is a guy who did a walkthrough alteration of a variable RPM drill @ Harbor Freight (about $16) that could be adapted to any similar shafted motor if you took his lockup tips to heart. It's what I've been toying with using. Heck, I might just leave the drill as is and see how it works out if the battery pack matches my current HF drill.

Edit: Forgot the link. Dunno if anyone else here would be creating any kind of robot or similar device but here you go... http://www.wa4dsy.net/robot/drill-motor-hack

If you are looking for a better gear motor keep an eye on the surplus sites like Surplus Center

Problem here being, not sure I really know how these work (get thes idea, just don't know how to calculate which I would need to get my rpms in line with 150-300) or what I would need to buy...

@CidahMastah:

The lower the speed the higher the torque (it uses a worm drive to achieve it's reduction and increase of working torque). With the smaller motors working you might struggle if you were to up them to the 150-300 range. That said, I suspect the torque of those units is probably more enough you could just gear it up 2x to get to at least 120-150rpm. I tend to feel better about my crush at handcranked speeds than @300RPM with my old drillpress motor. I took it right back off and stuffed it away until I could come up with a 3 roller mill.

Man that is SLOW (the youtube video of the wiper blade he posted)! No offense, but I would rather stick to my drill than use the setup of the semi wiper blade motor.

Yeah, but you just start it and go do something else while it is running, If I wasn't patient, I'd buy beer ;)

Problem here being, not sure I really know how these work (get thes idea, just don't know how to calculate which I would need to get my rpms in line with 150-300) or what I would need to buy...

The ones on the page I linked all include a motor and specify the output RPM.

And just because I found the concept of the wiper motor interesting I stumbled across this gem testing an example at over 17ftlbs: Wiper Motor Page

Of course, as that page suggests that motor is no longer made. I think that was the page that led me to monsterguts anyway. There is a june 2011 update on that page to another motor with a slightly higher 53in-lbs torque, but at $25 instead of $16

Yeah, but you just start it and go do something else while it is running...

Agreed, if my mill was motorized I don't think I'd care how slow it went. I have a hopper big enough for 20lbs of grain so constantly loading it isn't an issue & I definitely have other things to do besides watching my grain get milled. Using my drill now I go as slow as it will let me, it seems to net me the best crush that way.

Wouldn't it be the 13.27ft.lbs of torque starting the mill up or at least somewhere between that and the 3.98 when you first start it?

That said, there is a guy who did a walkthrough alteration of a variable RPM drill @ Harbor Freight (about $16) that could be adapted to any similar shafted motor if you took his lockup tips to heart. It's what I've been toying with using. Heck, I might just leave the drill as is and see how it works out if the battery pack matches my current HF drill.

Edit: Forgot the link. Dunno if anyone else here would be creating any kind of robot or similar device but here you go... Dale's Homemade Robots - 14.4 Volt DrillMaster Modification

Now that looks like a possibility. Even though the drill in question is 14.4v you could likely drive it with the 12v lines from a old computer power supply, would just run a little slower. Of course harbor freight seems to have discontinued 14.4v tools in general. I would still want to get the speed down quite a bit.

Finally got off my lazy ass.

image-160825864.jpg

I can't justify buying a drill just for that. Believe me though I am looking for another reason to buy one.

Beezy said:
I can't justify buying a drill just for that. Believe me though I am looking for another reason to buy one.

Don't buy one me and my wife crank out grain and its very humbling

JoeyChopps said:
Don't buy one me and my wife crank out grain and its very humbling

Well my son likes to help. Hey I am not adverse to a little manual labor. It's worth it for some good beer.

Accidic said:
A way to extend the crank arm outward another inch or so for bucket use would be nice though.

I just cut off that "finger lip" on the side of the bucket to give my handle clearance works pretty well

img0206oa.jpg

I live in an apt so storing extra stuff is difficult.
I just use the side of a crappy chair to mount the mill, and fasten a clear bag with a coiled coat hanger.
My "grain bin" is the drawer out of my fridge. Since my fridge usually has kegs in it, There is no room for the bin in the fridge anyhow.

I think the mill that implements the KFC bucket gets my vote for ugliest haha

IMG_0206.jpg

The water carboy on top of mine doesn't actually sit straight up which actually works out because it stays out of the way of the crank. And the post sits on the second bucket so as I crank the bucket rotates. I took off the handle for the bucket so it can just go around. I suppose I could notch it out so it won't move but I don't care.

I just cut off that "finger lip" on the side of the bucket to give my handle clearance works pretty well

I'm good on the lip part. The problem I ran into was the slant of the iron makes it an EXTREMELY tight fit. At least on the Corona model I have with the free floating disc.

I finally have some time to build my ugly mill, it has about half an inch of dust gathered on it. I can't wait, haven't been able to brew in almost six months-my 8 month old had/has some serious health issues-they are nearing an end-thank God. Can't wait for Sunday, new ebay aquarium temp control, chest freezer, new mill, and some time to use it for the first time! Wish me some luck.

I'm sorry to hear about your little one and glad to hear things are better. I have three little boys 4 years and under. The littlest is 7 weeks and I thank God they are all healthy. A close friend recently had another miscarriage. Life makes you grateful for what you have.

I know it's probably been discussed but what type and size of thing do you put into where the handle is so that you can attach the drill?

I know it's probably been discussed but what type and size of thing do you put into where the handle is so that you can attach the drill?

I took the auger (the twisty part inside that shoves the grain through) out and to the hardware store, and found a 13mm bolt (it's metric!) that would fit in that hole. It's about 2-3" long, enough to reach out of the bucket. I put a 13mm socket on the bolt with an adapter (I already had those) to an ancient Craftsman 1/2" drill I have. Works like a charm.

I took the auger (the twisty part inside that shoves the grain through) out and to the hardware store, and found a 13mm bolt (it's metric!) that would fit in that hole. It's about 2-3" long, enough to reach out of the bucket. I put a 13mm socket on the bolt with an adapter (I already had those) to an ancient Craftsman 1/2" drill I have. Works like a charm.

awesome, thanks!

Will a 3/8" 110v drill have enough guts to grind my grain on an infrequent basis? I'm not sure of the hp rating but it is a newer Dewalt brand drill.

Some folks seem to have problems with the battery powered drills, but with yours being an AC model and a DeWalt, I'm guessing it'll do OK.

Thanks for the quick advice-I just got my ebay aquarium temp controller done last night. Now to mount my mill in the buckets that I have and I'm ready to oreder bulk grain! P.S. my 8 month old is doing awsome and will be getting his trach (breathing tube) out in less than a month!

I'm in

I guess I cant post a link ... anyway ... I got a knock off from santa and I rigged it up in a bucket using only a skill saw ... it's pretty ugly .. haha ... this thread was a great help .. thanks all !!!

Just got a corona mill, might be a dumb question but what do you mean when you say "tighten" it another twist? What exactly am I tightening? The wing bolts?

Charlieatthedisco said:
Just got a corona mill, might be a dumb question but what do you mean when you say "tighten" it another twist? What exactly am I tightening? The wing bolts?

Yeah the wing bolt. If u look at some of the pics on here some people myself included stack washers between the 2 grinding plated (small wing nuts) that will give u some space to not turn ur grain to flower. Then u fine tune with the large "wing nut" hope this helps Chopps

I got that part figured out! Thanks! How about all the photos I see of a 2x4 inside the bucket with the mill, how is the mill being mounted inside the bucket? A close up photo would be good enough to figure it out I think! Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back