US Hops vs. UK Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest

Reaction score
Westminster, Uk. But only till the end of Decembe
I have been looking on the Internet for hops to go into my Bitter and my ESB that I will be brewing at the end of next month. I really want to use Whole leaf hops but am having problems finding exactly what I am looking for. I know when wine is concerned, the flavor is greatly dependant on the region, weather and climate that the grapes are grown in. I figure that Hops are probably the same.

I have found several sites that sell Whole Leaf Fuggles Hops but they are all listed as being American Fuggles. I was wondering what kind of taste difference will exist if any between the US Fuggles and the UK Fuggles.

I am also having realy problems finding a HBS that sells Whole Leaf East Kent or just Kent Golding Hops. I have found one that listed they had it but upon contacting them found that it was actually grown in the US which technically doesn't make it a Kent Golding at all.

Just wondering if there will be any taste difference between the US and UK hops and if anybody knows of an online HBS where I can buy Whole Leaf East Kent or Kent Golding and British Fuggles.

Thanks in advance.

If those U.S. goldings are from Yakima they are fairly close to imported goldings. I got a rhizome of Yakima goldings a few years ago and use them in all my British ales.
If you are having to use U.S. fuggles go with Willamettes instead, they are descended from fuggles and are actually better.

Back