DIY stir plate vortex question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel82

Reaction score
I have just finished my DIY stir plate from https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/ and I had a question about what kind of vortex I need to get the most out of my starters.

First off I have a 5.7v power adapter. While that spins the bar fast while alone on my stir plate, when its it my 2L flask it only makes about a 1" dimple in the water. The spin seems to be fairly balanced and isn't being thrown.

My question is do I need a big vortex to get great starters? And because I simply want one anyway, do you think its my power supply or perhaps my magnets.

I have worked with the spacing and I beleive that is about as good as it will get. Thanks in adavance

No vortex necessary, but I like one anyway. I pull a tornado-like vortex all the way down my 4L flask. You can do this with any size stir bar. But you need the bar to spin fast. So, try some higher-voltage supplies on your plate.

Keep a small vortex so you can easily see that it's spinning. I aim for about a half inch. There really is no need for a tornado. Although, there's nothing wrong with it.

Oh jeez. The tornado comment wasn't directed at you pawn. It was just timing.

I agree, small vortex is all that is needed. there is a link in my sig for my build and you can see the vortex is small. I used this last week and it ran for days with no issue and produced quite the population of yeast compared to the "swirl it every time i walk by" method.

Back