What's the best minifridge to use for a kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jager83

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to build a kegerator from a mini-fridge, that will hold a full size half barrel keg, or two corny kegs, as well as a CO2 tank. Any ideas what would be the best fridge for this? I was looking at the Whirlpool WAR488BSL. Has anyone built one from this particular model? Or any other mini fridges i can buy in Alberta would work. Any help you guys could give me would be appreciated!

Thanks,

jeremy

Sanyo 4912 - I believe you can still get them from Fry's. Or basically look for any mini fridge that doesn't have a freezer at the top.

Sanyo 4912 - I believe you can still get them from Fry's. Or basically look for any mini fridge that doesn't have a freezer at the top.

+1 But the compressor hump is likely to inhibit a sanke keg going in isnt it?

I have also seen some great mods on fridges that do have freezers on the top.

Most people get them, cut the floor out and extend the compressor down below the fridge, build a stand and are able to fit 3 corny kegs or 1 full size sanke in pretty much any 4.0cf+ dorm fridge.

If I can find the thread Im thinking of Ill post the link.

Just keep in mind that the guy opened the refrigeration lines, added fittings and then had to evacuate and recharge the system. Not many of us are capable of doing that task or are willing to pay serious $'s to an ACR guy to do it.

It's a neat build. But...

Ok, so not exactly an everyman's DIY, but it's one possibility :tank:

I can't find the sanyo 4912 anywhere, as they no longer make it. Does anyone know of a minifridge that will hold a commericial keg without having to move the compressor or condensor?

Frigidaire FRC445GB will hold 1/4 tall barrels. You may need to trim the bumpouts on the door. There is a nice long thread on this somewhere, if I can find it I'll post it. Readily available from Lowes for $150-$180.

You could also build a collar out of rigid foam insulation to accomodate virtually any size fridge. Compressor may run a little more often than designed for, but it will work. Check out my bar build in my sig, I can fit a full 1/2 barrel plus 2 or 3 cornies (havent actually checked that yet, only have one corny) with the Frigidaire I mentioned above.

Most comercially avaliable dorm fridges are going to have the compressor hump that completely kills the ability to throw a 1/2bbl keg in there with no modification.

I cant think of one off hand that would accommodate a 1/2bbl without some sort of destruction.

Then again, if you skip the dorm fridge, add a couple hundred bucks, you can get this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danby-Keg...0000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11090923

We did this once but the beer would never get to the desired temp. We just brought the compressor straight out without disconnecting anything. Freezer is the way to go if all possible. I would like to know what the beer temp is in these? I have one and maybe it was just the other fridge we used back in the day.

Most comercially avaliable dorm fridges are going to have the compressor hump that completely kills the ability to throw a 1/2bbl keg in there with no modification.

I cant think of one off hand that would accommodate a 1/2bbl without some sort of destruction.

Then again, if you skip the dorm fridge, add a couple hundred bucks, you can get this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danby-Keg...0000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11090923

and if you already have a fridge, sell it and put that money towards a used Kegerator off of craigslist. I always see them on there for $250-$350

I'm in the same boat right now and am seriously considering buying a chest freezer and a thermostat to toggle it on and off. My only concern is that doing this may significantly affect the life of the compressor. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure but I think it wouldn't effect anything....maybe be better. Your freezer would have to kick on and off a lot more to keep a temp at 0 degrees in a 75 deg envirnment compared to a 34-40 deg temp in a 75 deg enviro. Price everything you would need to make this setup and how well it would function and then check your local craigslist ads.

You will not decrease the life of the freezer compressor since i t will be running LESS often than as designed (higher temps). Whereas my situation, with a cold box attached to a dorm fridge will run the compressor MORE often (more volume to keep cool).

BTW, when I first installed my system I had 5 gallons of water dwn to 32 degrees at a fridge setting of 5 (6 being the coldest). Now I have halfbarrel of yuengling, a cornie of HB, and a 5 gallon carboy (for thermal mass) sitting at about 38 degrees, setting at 3 1/2 of 6. Also, I used my kill a watt to estimate that the compresor runs between 10-20 minutes per hour. I have no idea if that is too much but it does run somewhat more than my other, non coldboxed frigidaire. FWIW.

PS: I don't think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' way of doing this, and I would be the first one to tell you that my setup is not ideal. However it was the best idea for my particular situation because A. I got the fridge for 75 bucks scratch n dent, B. I wanted the ability to house multiple sizes and numbers of kegs, and C. I wanted to bud it directly into the bar.

If you haven't purchased a fridge yet, and are set in your ways to hold a 1/2 bbl, then a craigslist kegerator is probably your best bet, then keezer, then upright freezer, then dorm fridge with cold box, as far as bang for you buck goes. But you also have to look at the construction aspects and what works best for you.

Latest posts

Back