Blichmann Top Tier Center Mast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaguardoc504

Reaction score
Does anyone know the center mast dimension?
I am building a similar kit with T-Slotted Extrusions.
But I want to use the Top Tier accessories.

I like the way the burner mounts, and the shelf.
Considering the cost and time to make a similar rig myself, I like the concept.

I was thinking about doing the same thing. The piece of extrusion would only run about $100 max. Could you also provide the slot centerline distance? I was thinking about making the legs from extrusion also. It would probably cost less than $250 total including casters and feet.

I have looked into the different burner rigs, and she;ves. and i like the concept of the Blichmann, just can't see spending $600+ for the whole system.
I have ordered so T-Slotted Extrusions, that should be here next week.
I will then order the burner, and shelf.
I plan on using the more extrusion as the legs. They will have levelers and casters on them.
They will also fold up for storage/portability.
I am going with a 5'6" center mast, so I should not have any problems adding ingredients during the boil.

Once I start I will get some pictures up.

Where did you guy your extrusion? I would like to find something with a similar profile so I can use the burners and shelves too. I looked at Misumi & 80/20. Hope it is not a special profile with an odd slot pattern.

Sounds like some cool builds here. Keep in mind that the arms that mount the burners/shelves to the center mast are not available separately and are only included with the Top Tier, so those would need to be fabricated as well.

It's 3.5" x 3.5". What accessories were you thinking about using?

Is that a measurement with a tape measure or with calipers? Could you measure it with calipers? The reason I ask is that it could be 3.5" or it could be 90mm square. I would like to get a center post that matches the originals dimensions exactly.

Sounds like some cool builds here. Keep in mind that the arms that mount the burners/shelves to the center mast are not available separately and are only included with the Top Tier, so those would need to be fabricated as well.

I called a dealer and they said you can get the arms, as a replacement part. Originally they come with the stand, but you can get them.

Oh and I ordered 80/20 15 series 3060. I have used them in the past for other projects. Once I get it built I can send you a parts list.

I called a dealer and they said you can get the arms, as a replacement part. Originally they come with the stand, but you can get them.

Oh and I ordered 80/20 15 series 3060. I have used them in the past for other projects. Once I get it built I can send you a parts list.

Any reason you went with a 1.5" x 3.0" profile as opposed to a square profile? Just wondering. Seems the 3030, 3" x 3" would be more fitting, but I have some concern given the fact the above post states the actual profile size is 3.5". I have not seen any US manufacture that makes 3.5" profile. I have a feeling it is actually a metric profile that is 90mm x 90mm and it uses 10mm slots with 8mm/5/16" fasteners. I watched the assembly video last night and they are using 5/16" hardware.

The 3060 Series is 3X6. 15Series denotes the T-Slot dimensions, and spacing.
You must be talking about the 1530 (1.5X3.0)
I am not too concerned with the hardware, as I could always go to metric hardware if need (it still fit's in the slots on the fractional 15 Series).

And I ordered the 3060 before i knew the dimensions were 3.5X3.5, as I figured anything much smaller would not be structurally sound.
Also I did some stress test simulation in Solid Works, as 80/20 has a real nice add on software, that has a lot of the standard extrusions, and hardware.
I assumed a 100lb load (burner, kettle, and wort). Also I did the simulation with heat cycling @ 30C to 125C 2Hr dwell at each temp 2HR ramp up/down (the 3030 failed after 50cycles, but 125C is a lot higher than I think it will see), this is why i went with the 3060.
Also if need be I did design some brackets to fit the stand and shelf, my cousin is a fabricator so he can make them for me pretty easily at his shop, out of scrap SS.

My bad on the size. I will do my modeling on Solidworks as well. What size batches are you planning? I would think a big beer, 10 gallon batch, in a keggle would be a bit heavier.

My bad on the size. I will do my modeling on Solidworks as well. What size batches are you planning? I would think a big beer, 10 gallon batch, in a keggle would be a bit heavier.

water is 8lb a gallon so for the sake of assuming lets say 12lb to be on the safe side

12 x 10 gal= 120 lbs

add the weight of a keg which is about 32lb and your looking at more like 152 lb

i am not a stuct engineer but i would say that the calcs will change with the weight going up 50%

i am interested in this also BTW and i work at an engineering firm and could have some of my friends here do come load calcs for me if needed

water is 8lb a gallon so for the sake of assuming lets say 12lb to be on the safe side

12 x 10 gal= 120 lbs

add the weight of a keg which is about 32lb and your looking at more like 152 lb

i am not a stuct engineer but i would say that the calcs will change with the weight going up 50%

i am interested in this also BTW and i work at an engineering firm and could have some of my friends here do come load calcs for me if needed

You also need to account for the weight of the grain which will be between 20- 40 lbs for a 10 gallon batch typically.

I am a mechanical engineering designer for a heavy equipment manufacture. I may or may not run some simulations on Solidworks. If the price comes out reasonable, I could probably put a bill of material and cost analysis together.

Interesting. Pretty sure that's a violation of their dealer agreement with Blichmann, but cool if you can get them.

Is that a measurement with a tape measure or with calipers? Could you measure it with calipers? The reason I ask is that it could be 3.5" or it could be 90mm square. I would like to get a center post that matches the originals dimensions exactly.

I originally measured with a tape, but I just went back and measured with calipers. It's 3.5" square.

Interesting. Pretty sure that's a violation of their dealer agreement with Blichmann, but cool if you can get them.

Really? Why wouldn't they support there product if somebody wanted it. Not trying to argue, just find it strange that they would not sell one of their pieces if somebody wanted it.

I originally measured with a tape, but I just went back and measured with calipers. It's 3.5" square.

Thanks for checking that! That is surely a an odd extrusion size. I wonder who makes that profile? I guess I will have to keep hunting. I could prob make the 90mm square profile work and just open the mounting holes slightly. Do you know what the slot width is and slot centerlines are off the edge? Any dimensions would help in tracking down this extrusion.

I am only making 5 gallon batches.
I am a small extract brewer, i do not have the time to go all grain, nor do i want to invest into an automated system to save time. In the end leaves more time for :tank:

Hence why i mentioned no names.
But as stated before, i can always fab them myself.
Just liked the idea of getting ready built stuff for less than 80% of the original system.:fro:

I am only making 5 gallon batches.
I am a small extract brewer, i do not have the time to go all grain, nor do i want to invest into an automated system to save time. In the end leaves more time for :tank:

Sounds like your 100lb estimate would be good then! Let us know how it turns out.

Really? Why wouldn't they support there product if somebody wanted it. Not trying to argue, just find it strange that they would not sell one of their pieces if somebody wanted it.

Also when speaking to the dealer he said that they were available as replacement parts, not for purchase
In case you damaged one, or one got damaged during shipping.....

Also when speaking to the dealer he said that they were available as replacement parts, not for purchase
In case you damaged one, or one got damaged during shipping.....

That is what I was thinking exactly. I mean, they would not make you purchase another stand if your shelf got screwed up. Sounds like he is selling it exactly how Blichmann intended.

That is what I was thinking exactly. I mean, they would not make you purchase another stand if your shelf got screwed up. Sounds like he is selling it exactly how Blichmann intended.

That's called a warranty replacement. The only way they intend for you to get additional arms is if yours are damaged or are defective somehow, but you have to have purchased a Top Tier already, or find a shady dealer. :D

I made a post this past weekend with the dimensions for the arms. I had mine laser cut and it's spot on. Hopefully this helps.

I'm picking up my center mast tomorrow, a 3.5"x3.5"x.125"x6' piece of mild steel. I plan to use threaded rod to pass through the tube to secure each shelf. With two burners, a large shelf for my 48L cooler, a march pump with mount, and the accessory tray for my plate chiller I think the .125" steel should hold just fine.

Just did a dry fit-up today. I had to lower my top burner and shelf height, and my gas manifold will have to mount on to exposed threads from the burner arms. All in all a fun project. First brew next weekend!

image-3436636736.jpg

image-316629625.jpg

Back