Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question - I don't have a way to steam cook rice at the moment. Would this also work if I cooked it in a pot like I usually do? Thanks!

mikeslag said:
Quick question - I don't have a way to steam cook rice at the moment. Would this also work if I cooked it in a pot like I usually do? Thanks!

That's exactly what I did an mine is coming along grand

I think it is discussed already within this thread, but wiki gives a decent overview along with a photo. Your search engine will provide a plethora of info, just let your fingers do the walking.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_yeast_rice

...Sara

Thanks! I tried to look for it in the thread but it's like 41 pages lol. Much appreciated. I can't find a damn screwcap 1 gallon bottle anywhere!

I'm using a 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot with a gallon jug of water on the lid. Same way I make my mead. Haven't had a problem yet. When money allows ill buy a 50lb bag of rice from the local Hong Kong palace and ferment in a brew bucket. One thing I am going to try is lining the bucket with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag and putting the rice in that to hopefully make it a little easier to separate at the end

I think I got my jars at like Target.

Yeah I saw some people had some luck with that, I tried my local target today and couldn't find one. Sonofgrok, do you know offhand what they're called at target so I can search their website? My searches of gallon jugs and gallon jars were unsuccessful. Even a brand name would be help.

I'm using a 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot with a gallon jug of water on the lid. Same way I make my mead. Haven't had a problem yet. When money allows ill buy a 50lb bag of rice from the local Hong Kong palace and ferment in a brew bucket. One thing I am going to try is lining the bucket with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag and putting the rice in that to hopefully make it a little easier to separate at the end

That sounds pretty epic. Just curious, what do you mean a gallon jug of water on the lid? Like sitting on top to keep the lid on or something?

Yeah I saw some people had some luck with that, I tried my local target today and couldn't find one. Sonofgrok, do you know offhand what they're called at target so I can search their website? My searches of gallon jugs and gallon jars were unsuccessful. Even a brand name would be help.

They aren't stamped with a name or anything. Sorry. I don't see them on target.com either so they must be an in store item or some such rubbish. If worse comes to worse you can always use mason jars. Thats what my MIL used to use.

This is a great thread! Thanks sonofgrok.
Here's mine after 12 days. 4 cups of sushi rice and 3 yeast balls. I also added 500 ml. of citric acid with the yeast. Had liquid within 24 hours and great smell for the first ten days but now it's smelling a little yeasty. I hope that's a normal phase of the process and I didn't mess something up.
I got two of these 1 gallon food grade containers at Walmart since I could not find any empty gallon jars.

image-2282273713.jpg

Yeah I saw some people had some luck with that, I tried my local target today and couldn't find one. Sonofgrok, do you know offhand what they're called at target so I can search their website? My searches of gallon jugs and gallon jars were unsuccessful. Even a brand name would be help.[/QUOTE

Look for a gallon sun tea jar. And I know at WalMart you can find an assortment of glass cookie jars with glass lids plus glass jars and screw lids. Some even carry gallon mason jars. Anchor Hocking comes to mind on the two gallon all glass jars.

Look for a gallon sun tea jar. And I know at WalMart you can find an assortment of glass cookie jars with glass lids plus glass jars and screw lids. Some even carry gallon mason jars. Anchor Hocking comes to mind on the two gallon all glass jars.

Thanks you guys are the best. Much appreciated Saramc. Walmart NEXT STTTOOOPPPP!!!

My rice cooker takes about forty-five minutes to fully cook 2 cups dry. If I use wild rice, which I plan to do, it takes longer. I am supposed to fully cook it, right?

Wild rice wine - yeah, I went there.

andvari7 said:
My rice cooker takes about forty-five minutes to fully cook 2 cups dry. If I use wild rice, which I plan to do, it takes longer. I am supposed to fully cook it, right?

Damn 45 mins for two cups? Just putting it out their, but I did 11 cups on the stove in a covered pot in a collective 15 mins or so and mine came out just fine

Just harvested my 5 cup of calrose rice batch. Turned out great, have a yield of a little over 1 quart. Its really cloudy though, I tried to filter it a bit through some coffee filters/a brita/a contraption I tried with a coffee filter filled bottle hooked up to some CO2 to push the liquid through, and it just clogged up all the filters I tried, so I abandoned the idea of filtering it. It tastes fine cloudy though. Am starting another batch now of 8 cups of calrose. This stuff is great and is a piece of cake to start. Its a good filler for when I don't have time to brew.

That's about right for my rice cooker time wise. Mine cooks 7.5 cups of dry rice at one time though. That produces 20 cups of cooked rice.

I have an inline micron filter I use to filter my beer. I wonder if that would work or clog

When my large batch is done, I'm planning on adding some bentonite powder to the liquid if it is murky.

Leadgolem said:
When my large batch is done, I'm planning on adding some bentonite powder to the liquid if it is murky.

Good Idea. I hand thought of that. I think I'll pasteurize then try cold crashing. If that doesn't work ill try bentonite.

Sorry if this has been asked already but has anyone tried this with a basmati rice? I have about 6 pounds on hand and am looking to put it to good use!

Sorry if this has been asked already but has anyone tried this with a basmati rice? I have about 6 pounds on hand and am looking to put it to good use!

I think that has been asked and it didn't work, got to be the sticky rice variety.

My son is going to make this today. How many cups dry sweet rice will we need to fill a 2 gallon glass container? How many yeast balls does he need to use?

image-2637622631.jpg

Each 2-ball package weighs 20 grams (3/4 oz)

My son is going to make this today. How many cups dry sweet rice will we need to fill a 2 gallon glass container? How many yeast balls does he need to use?

View attachment 95310

Each 2-ball package weighs 20 grams (3/4 oz)

in a 1.5 liter jar i use 3 cups of dry rice and 2 crushed yeast ball, hope this helps ill let you do the conversion!!

It should work on some level. I can't vouch for the product because I have never done it but only one way to find out! Whats the worse that could happen, you are out a couple cups of rice and some cheap yeast balls?

I like a 1 ball per cup to 1 ball per 2 cups range ratio myself. I usually use 2-3 cups dry which about half fills a 1 gallon so it sounds like you are going to need a lot of rice.

I've got a test batch with basmati going right now, since that was the rice I had on hand. I can't give a comparison to other types of rice, but it seems to be acting the same. Everything is liquifying and there is a distinct fruity/alcohol smell to it.

Ezekielsays said:
I've got a test batch with basmati going right now, since that was the rice I had on hand. I can't give a comparison to other types of rice, but it seems to be acting the same. Everything is liquifying and there is a distinct fruity/alcohol smell to it.

Please report back and let us know how it turns out!

Used basmati with no problem.
Sticky sweet broke down even easier.

Hint, when straining chill the wine after the first straining. If you can even chill the entire mess while straining it is immensely clear. Four batches under my belt, using double layer of fine mesh nylon straining bags. Crystal clear, cloudy layer drops quickly. Do NOT squeeze or it all clouds.

saramc said:
Used basmati with no problem.
Sticky sweet broke down even easier.

Hint, when straining chill the wine after the first straining. If you can even chill the entire mess while straining it is immensely clear. Four batches under my belt, using double layer of fine mesh nylon straining bags. Crystal clear, cloudy layer drops quickly. Do NOT squeeze or it all clouds.

Sara, I have been working on clearing also. I would love to see some pictures of how clear you are getting yours and more on exactly how you are going about doing it.

Sara, I have been working on clearing also. I would love to see some pictures of how clear you are getting yours and more on exactly how you are going about doing it.

I already answered that and posted pictures, cannot recall what date I posted, thinking 11/28 or after that. I no longer have photos available for download, but they are already attached. Next time I pour a glass I will post a picture. My latest is soaking on Asian pears and strawberries right now. But the wine is crystal clear.

But I to summarize again....transfer contents to a set of two clean/sanitized fine mesh bags layered together and allow to drip dry. I use what are known as jelly bags, got them off eBay and they have elastic at the openings.
I prefer to chill all contents overnight before straining and place contents back in refrig while straining. I usually strain for 36-48 hours or until dry. The rice pulp is discarded (if any doubt about pulp being fully drained then transfer to new straining bag setup and see what you get) and I then rack the clear wine away from any cloudy wine that may be evident in collection container. I do not squeeze or press the straining bag (but if you cannot resist squeezing do so after transferring to new collection container so you do not cloud what you have already collected) and I strain up to one gallon at a time with my setup--only have so much room right now. It may take longer to strain larger batch. The cloudy wine, called rice beer, is consumed sooner than anything else. That pretty much sums it up.

Sarah, do you suspend the jelly bags or something? How do you drain them without them sitting in the wine?

Our potential product:

image-3560553659.jpg

image-2263370779.jpg

This was much more an undertaking than we expected.

2 gallon container filled with 5 lbs of glutinous (about 12 cups) sweet rice and 5 yeast balls. We may add some additional yeast balls later.

I had never steamed rice before, and forgot to soak it before trying to steam.

I sure hope this turns out well. This was my son's first time to lead the brew.

During our brew session, we managed two episodes of "once upon a time" two games of "worms" on ps3 and Monty python's "meaning of life" while cooling to pitch.

I don't think the jar should be completely sealed. Read the OP and it mentions using some cloth to act as an airlock

That jar in the photo is just fine; it is essentially the same style I use for all my batches now (and what I use for all 1 gallon batches of wine/mead I make--I like to be able to "see" it). Cloth is not an airlock, just a barrier against dust and bugs and such--the glass lid is an adequate barrier plus allows for some air exchange. Airlock is optional on this recipe.

For the question about how I suspend my straining rice wine, I simply secure the straining bags with a few strong rubber bands/thin bungee cords, and use a 2 gallon food grade bucket as the receiving container. I check the level of the bag every few hours and simply raise the bag as there is room to do so. If you have a tall, narrow stainless steel pot, like a spaghetti pot that works well also. If you only have a small volume receiving container, simply work with what you have.

Latest posts

Back