A Gift from Silenus: Buried Treasure!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
So some of you may have seen pics of my stacks of homebrew backstock. I have three rows of boxes, each two deep. The first row is 12-bottle wine cases filled with bottled large-formats, about 10 cases in all. The second row is 24-bottle 12oz'ers, filled bottles, about 12 cases in all. The third row is filled with empty/delabeled 12oz'ers, about 10 cases in all.

So last night, I'm bottling my Steffiweizen v2.0 and the "Coriander? I Hardly Know 'er!" Witbier. I grab the first case of empties and toss it in the Starsan. I go for another case, which has been buried under other cases for awhile, and it seemed...heavy. As I pulled back the flaps and peered inside, I couldn't believe it. Damn near a whole case of my first batch of Steffiweizen! I had run out of hefe and was sorely in need of a hefe in this hot-assed weather, which is why I was so anxious to get these new wheat brews into the bottle. But this? This is unreal. Granted, I brewed it at the end of November, so it's not as fresh as it once was, but I tried a bottle, and it's still delicious. Minty, clovey, banana-y...I just could not believe it! This will tide me over until my new batches are carb'd...

Fock, yeah!
Big-Thumbs-Up.gif

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Old does not necessarily mean Un-fresh.

Well, it's been my experience that, with hefeweizens, it usually does. This one seems to have dried out a touch, but not enough to really care. But since my basement has been cold as hell for the past few months, it hasn't suffered much at all.

Ahh... yeah I could see that.

Curious, did it clear up much since it was sitting for so long?

BTW, what's your recipe? I brewed 10g about 15days ago. That was my first batch with a true hefe yeast. Used wyeast 3638.

Back