"Threat Lemon Midnight" - GF Lemon Pepper Experimental Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
I posted briefly about black rice yesterday in this batch and said I would bring the whole recipe so here goes.

Came up with an idea to use "asian" types of ingredients for a GF batch and not as in a Sapporo/Asahi clone. I wanted to use Sorachi Ace hops and read about how they have a very lemony, citrusy taste. As an accent to this I wanted to add cracked peppercorns and coriander. I wandered upon black rice in an Asian food store and decided to see if i could get some color out of it and do my best to convert it to sugars using amylase enzyme.

Recipe is as follows:

1lb 14 oz Black Rice (Mashed?)
3 lb 5 oz Sorghum LE
2 lb 10 oz Brown Rice Syrup
4 oz Maltodextrin (Late addition 5-10 min remaining)
4 oz Lemongrass (15min) Chopped into pieces and put in a hop bag
.5 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)
.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient (10 min)
< .5 oz Cracked peppercorns (5 min)
< .5 oz Cracked coriander (5 min)
1 oz Sorachi Ace (60 min)
.5 oz Sorachi Ace (10 min)
Safbrew T-58 (Read it gives a peppery taste)
Boiled the rice for 20-30 minutes in 1.5 gallons of water as I had read that I needed to gelatinize before I would attempt to "mash" it. Dropped the temperature below 160 F and added 1 tsp of amylase enzyme. Let it mash for about 40 minutes stirring every 10-15. Poured a half gallon of water through my nylon bag to "sparge". The black rice released a dark purple color after boiling that almost stained it was so thick.

Added water to get to my boil volume and added the syrups and followed boil schedule. After cooling wort and putting in carboy I had an OG of 1.059 (as compared to 1.044 expected from just the syrups). Hoping that I did get some decent fermentable sugars instead of just starchs but we will wait and see.

Post boil it ended up being a purplish brown color so this was extremely different from my very light GF beers before. Will follow up with more info later as it is fermenting now!

I posted briefly about black rice yesterday in this batch and said I would bring the whole recipe so here goes.

Came up with an idea to use "asian" types of ingredients for a GF batch and not as in a Sapporo/Asahi clone. I wanted to use Sorachi Ace hops and read about how they have a very lemony, citrusy taste. As an accent to this I wanted to add cracked peppercorns and coriander. I wandered upon black rice in an Asian food store and decided to see if i could get some color out of it and do my best to convert it to sugars using amylase enzyme.

Recipe is as follows:

1lb 14 oz Black Rice (Mashed?)
3 lb 5 oz Sorghum LE
2 lb 10 oz Brown Rice Syrup
4 oz Maltodextrin (Late addition 5-10 min remaining)
4 oz Lemongrass (15min) Chopped into pieces and put in a hop bag
.5 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)
.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient (10 min)
< .5 oz Cracked peppercorns (5 min)
< .5 oz Cracked coriander (5 min)
1 oz Sorachi Ace (60 min)
.5 oz Sorachi Ace (10 min)
Safbrew T-58 (Read it gives a peppery taste)
Boiled the rice for 20-30 minutes in 1.5 gallons of water as I had read that I needed to gelatinize before I would attempt to "mash" it. Dropped the temperature below 160 F and added 1 tsp of amylase enzyme. Let it mash for about 40 minutes stirring every 10-15. Poured a half gallon of water through my nylon bag to "sparge". The black rice released a dark purple color after boiling that almost stained it was so thick.

Added water to get to my boil volume and added the syrups and followed boil schedule. After cooling wort and putting in carboy I had an OG of 1.059 (as compared to 1.044 expected from just the syrups). Hoping that I did get some decent fermentable sugars instead of just starchs but we will wait and see.

Post boil it ended up being a purplish brown color so this was extremely different from my very light GF beers before. Will follow up with more info later as it is fermenting now!

Great office episode...definitely one of my faves.

What you did is called a 'cereal mash' and is necessary with anything besides Minute rice, so you did it right.

Good job measuring...although I would have reserved the maltodextrin until later. If your rice converted well, you probably wouldn't need it but could add it. If it didn't, you are likely going to wish that the malto wasn't there.

You don't mention what your final volume was, but for 5gal I calculate 1.042 from syrups and maltodextrin.

Love the name, interested to hear how it comes out.

I keep thinking about 'mashing' my own rice with amylase...

Just took a gravity reading and tasting. Still happily bubbling and measured 1.016. I have been extremely worried I over "lemoned" this beer but it had a really nice mix between bitterness and lemons.

Can't wait for this to be done.

Oh and it's still very purple.

Just took a gravity reading and tasting. Still happily bubbling and measured 1.016. I have been extremely worried I over "lemoned" this beer but it had a really nice mix between bitterness and lemons.

Can't wait for this to be done.

Oh and it's still very purple.

Pics or it didn't happen :D

3074-purple-coloring-black-rice.jpg

Here it is. 1.059 OG 1.014 FG.

Back