Warning: If you drop a stir bar into boiling starter, it will boil over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
While making a starter, added FermCap to supress the foam and everything couldn't have been going more perfect until I dropped in the stir bar 5 min before boil was done, It set the starter off like a volcano.

Heard/read "wait until the end of the boil to toss in the stir bar so you don't melt it while it sits on the bottom"

Yep, in the lab we put the stir bars in before boiling. As someone before mentioned, it will provide nucleation sites and prevent bumping. And yea, they are fine at way higher temperatures than you'll create in brewing, so long as they're immersed in an aqueous solution. They replace boiling chips when stirring's required usually.

Oh man I have done this more than once. You would think I learned my lesson the first time!

Oh man I have done this more than once. You would think I learned my lesson the first time!

I laughed at that. I usually learn the first time. But not always.

I don't remember much of my high school Chemistry II classes, so it's always fun to see things like nucleation points come up in real life. As I cleaned my stove of burnt wort, I tried to remember that.

Haha, yeah I learned that the hard way too. But it was yeast nutrient, not a stir bar in my case. We autoclave stir bars all the time and it doesn't affect them at all.

I hope you were not burned.

Back