1st batch tomorrow questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fb296

Reaction score
I got the True Brew Porter kit to start off the hobby tomorrow. :D I have done some reading and maybe I am missing something, but there is only 1 pack of hops in the box. :confused:

Does anyone have experience with this kit that can give me some pointers? Do I use the entire pack as bittering and do the full hour boil with them, or save some for flavor and aroma?

This kit contains:

Unhopped Dark Malt Extract – 1 can

Dark Dried Malt Extract – 2 lbs

Malto-Dextrin – 8 oz

Chocolate Grain Malt – 6 oz

Grain Steeping Bag

Hop Pellets – 1 oz

Ale Yeast – 1 pack

Priming Sugar – 5 oz

Bottle Caps

Thanks,
Mark

The description of the kit says hoppy but not bitter so I am going to say you do not stick the whole package in as bittering.

It directs me to add the hops with the extract after the grains have steeped. It does not say to split them. So, it appears they are for bittering only. Since this is my first brew, it is unusual to me, and differs from what I have read online.

It directs me to add the hops with the extract after the grains have steeped. It does not say to split them. So, it appears they are for bittering only. Since this is my first brew, it is unusual to me, and differs from what I have read online.

Yes, it might differ from what you've read online, but this is a porter you're making. Porters are not about hops flavor and aroma, and the bittering addition is there to balance the malt flavor from seeming too sweet.

I make alot of pale ales, and IPAs, where the hops flavor and aroma is important to the beer. In a porter, that's not where the emphasis is, so I'm srue if you follow the recipe, you'll be satisfied with the results.

Latest posts

Back