Late Starter.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
so I'm cooking up my starter right now for Ed's Heffe (although I'm using a different strain of yeast) I plan to brew on Saturday morning. So hence the title of my thread this is kinda of a late starter.

Had a question though, with my limited time do I have to chill the starter before pitching? I can just leave it out to do its thing and....decant and pitch right?

Cheers,

The purpose of making a starter is to increase the yeast count. I just pitch the entire starter.
Decanting prior to pitching will throw away much of the yeast that you have just bred.

-a.

I pitch the entire starter too. Swish it up so all the flocculated yeast is in suspension. I make it with light DME so it should work with pretty much any type of brew I make. Keep in mind that you should pitch your starter when the yeast is actively multiplying, not when it's finished. You don't want the yeast in cleanup mode.

I don't think you're running late on your starter you will have two day before you pitch. I typically make mine the night before and just pitch them at room temp.

Chilling it is to get the yeast to flocculate; if you don't chill and decant off the wort, you'll be losing a lot of yeast. Really, though, all you need is a couple of hours in the refrigerator to do the job, and you should have more than enough time for that.

Fingers said:
Keep in mind that you should pitch your starter when the yeast is actively multiplying, not when it's finished. You don't want the yeast in cleanup mode.

There's 2 schools of thought on this, one to pitch at high krausen, the other to wait until it ferments out, chill and decant. It sounds like he's wanting to follow the latter.

I am assuming you are not using a stir plate, if you were then the bulk of the reproduction has taken place in 12-18 hours and you would have plenty of time to crash cool and you would for sure want to decant so you are not pitching that highly oxidized wort into your future good brew.

Back