Palmers Port O' Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhaze

Reaction score
Hi All
Just got all the ingredients to brew above. One thing is he has 6.6 lbs of liquid pale malt extract. I only have 6 lbs. what effect will this have on the brew, lower OG and FG ?
Slainte

Hi All
Just got all the ingredients to brew above. One thing is he has 6.6 lbs of liquid pale malt extract. I only have 6 lbs. what effect will this have on the brew, lower OG and FG ?
Slainte

It will be slightly lower. I wouldn't worry about it because you won't have to worry about efficiency.

Yes. It'll be fine, but less strong. I made this recipe for one of my first brews as well. I found the hopping level a bit high for a porter of this gravity. I don't know what formula Palmer is using, but when I plug his hopping schedule into Tinseth's formula I get over 50 IBUs. If I brewed this again I'd probably up the chocolate malt to 3/4 lbs and drop the IBUs to 25.

Gavagai said:
Huh. Is the recipe in the book different from the website? http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter19-3.html I don't have my copy on me.

The recipe is
6.6 lbs of pale malt extract (liquid)
.5 lbs crystal 60 L
.5lbs chocolate malt
.25 lbs black patent malt
OG for 5 Gallons 1.054
Hops
.5 oz horizon (12%) 60 minutes
.75 oz willamette (5%)
.5 oz willamette (5%)
Total IBU'S 38
Slainte

Ah. That's reasonable. The old recipe had an ounce of nugget for bittering.

Using an online calculator (rooftop brew) I calculate 46.4 IBU'S
But using iBrewmaster I get 38 IBU'S
Very confusing
Slainte

Back